S2 E15: Getting Ready

Marinette giggled excitedly as she and Nathalie got ready in the older woman's room.

"Oh, my Goodness! I can't wait!" Marinette squeaked  as she slid on her dress. "I'm going to dance with Adrien! On a date! And you, with Gabriel! This will be a night to remember!"

Nathalie nodded, looking in the mirror to place in her earrings. "Oh, I'm sure. Especially since a certain bluebell-eyed girl is going to confess her feelings from what I hear."

Marinette turned red, facing away from Nathalie so she could zip up her dress. "Shut up."

***

"What if she's not in love with me?"

Adrien was venting out all his anxiety to his father before his date with Marinette.

Gabriel shook his head as he fixed his cuffs. "You worry too much. Speak from your heart." He poked his son's chest. "I did that and now, I'm going with Nathalie."

Adrien rolled his eyes. "Well, yeah! Because Nathalie has been in love with you since forever. I've only been close to Marinette for about a month. We don't have that kind of history."

"When you're my age, you'll have a greater history than Nathalie and I." Gabriel fixed Adrien's tie and patted his head. "You two were meant for each other. I knew it since the day I met her."

Adrien smiled widely. "Thanks, father."

Just then, there was a knock on the door. "It's Nathalie. Marinette is freaking out."

Adrien frowned. "Why? Is she okay? I'm coming."

"No, Adrien," Nathalie said cautiously, "She wants to talk to Gabriel."

"Oh." Adrien sat down. "Okay."

Gabriel opened the door, revealing a gorgeously dolled up Nathalie, elegant dress and smoky eyes. The man stopped and stared in adoration, his jaw nearly against the floor.

Adrien stood up, smiling widely. "Oh my Gosh! You look so pretty, Nathalie!"

The woman patted Adrien's head. "Thank you, sweetheart." Then she closed Gabriel's gaping mouth with her index. "I suppose you think I'm pretty too?"

Gabriel turned red at the contact and blinked silently before gathering his words. "U-Um, Marinette?"

"Right." Nathalie placed a hand on her hip. "I tried to comfort her and knock some sense into her, but to no avail. She's a nervous wreck about..." Her eyes shifted to a curious Adrien for only a split second. "...You know. And she said she wants 'dad advice'."

"Alright, I'll calm her down." Gabriel headed out. "I'll be back."

Adrien fumbled with his ring. "Nathalie... It's about me, right? That's why she doesn't want to see me right now?"

Nathalie frowned, rubbing his head. She didn't say anything as she knew Adrien was about to have another episode of nervous rambling.

"Marinette's nervous about our date, right? I-I told her it didn't have to be a date, and that we could go just as friends. Oh, maybe she feels pressured. Do you think she feels pressured? I never meant to..." He gasped. "Oh no! H-Have I been smothering her again? Shoot. If Mari doesn't want to date me, then, maybe I shouldn't tell her I'm devoting my feelings to her. I should just keep it to myself." He then whimpered, taking Nathalie's hand from atop his head. "I just combed my hair, stop that. I mean, I know Marinette confides her troubles to you and father, but she doesn't with me. Please, tell me why."

When Adrien finished speaking, he caught his breath and awaited Nathalie's response. She grinned, snaking her head, and cuffed the boy's cheeks with her hands.