41 - Happy New Year

I opened my eyes drowsily, only to find myself being carried up the stairs of my home.

Gasping, I flung my own arms up around my saviour's neck as I tried to desperately orientate my bleary mind.

A soft, throaty chuckle emitted from slightly parted lips and I caught a glimpse of amused grey eyes causing me to shamefully bury my face in his collar.

"Hey there, Sleeping Beauty." Draco murmured smoothly in my ear as we reached the top of the stairs.

I said nothing, still trying to clear my foggy mind which was made difficult by his inviting scent.

"Bed or floor?" he asked, and I was momentarily confused by his question.

Lifting my head, I could see now that we were in my bedroom.

"I'm fine just here," I mumbled, embarrassed to meet his eye as he lowered me back down to my feet.

He didn't attempt to move away, but remained right in front of me, slightly breathless from the exertion of having carried me all this way.

"The boys?" I asked, dread hitting me that they might have witnessed me passed out in Draco's arms.

"Still watching television. They barely even grunted when I called out that we were home. Don't worry," he smirked, seeing my horrified face, "they didn't see anything."

"What time is it?" I asked looking around uselessly for a clock that I knew was not there.

"You haven't missed it yet," he murmured quietly, "there's still twenty minutes to go."

Blimey, I'd manage to do a lot in under three hours. And there I was thinking the evening was going to be one big fucking borefest.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror behind Draco and nearly died of shock. I looked an absolute bloody state. Dried blood coated my forehead and down the side of my face; mascara tracks ran down my cheeks beneath panda looking eyes. And not to mention the bird's nest that was otherwise known as my hair. Ugh. I looked worse than the time Hermione threw that Stinging Hex at me.

And yet, there was Draco staring at me as if I was the most delicious looking dessert he had ever laid eyes on.

"Are you-" I swallowed, hesitating to ask the question, dreading the answer, "are you going back to Pansy's?"

"No. Never." He answered almost immediately, with complete sincerity, grey eyes piercing mine.

"Oh." I didn't know what to say, I suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable. Draco didn't seem to be in the process of going anywhere as he stood unmoving in front of me.

"I, uh - I'm just going to go in there." I said, pointing to the door of my en-suite bathroom.

I was surprised when he didn't attempt to follow me.

Ditching the dress, I hopped into the shower allowing its gloriousness to warm me up and clean all trace of this disastrous evening off me. I pulled on my pyjamas and stepped back out into the bedroom, only to discover that I still had company.

Draco, making himself at home, had strewn himself across my bed, feet up with his shoes kicked off and television on.

"You're still here." I said, stating the obvious.

Draco made a show of looking at his watch. "It's five minutes to midnight, Potter, and I'm not planning on seeing the new year in without you."

"What if I was still in the shower?"

"Then I would end up getting very wet."

I just stared at him, utterly gobsmacked.

Draco patted the space on the bed beside him. "Come on, Potter," he drawled, beckoning towards the television, "they're just getting ready for the countdown."