60 - The Blanket

We didn't have to wait long.

Loud ′cracks′ suddenly filled the room as Ministry officials Apparated before our very eyes. Blaise and Pansy both jumped up, brandishing their wands, but they were very much outnumbered.

"Bloody hell, Etta!" Ron muttered as he untied my ropes. "Why do you have to keep getting yourself in these situations?"

But I didn't answer. Instead, I jumped up and pushed my way past him to get to Draco.

"Draco!" I breathed, practically throwing myself down at his feet, holding his lolling head up in my hands. "Draco, wake up!"

"Etta," he rasped, his exhausted eyes flickering open, filling with love and relief as they focused on me.

"Let me untie him," Ron said from behind me, lifting his wand.

As soon as the ropes fell, Draco's arms wrapped fiercely around me, pulling me against him as I cried into his neck. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," I sobbed repeatedly as we clung tightly onto one another.

"Shhh," he soothed, clasping his hand in my hair. "It's over now, darling. We're okay, everything is going to be alright."

I guess he had forgotten about the shit that was our son.

*****

I hovered in Albus's bedroom doorway as I watched him sitting morosely on the end of his bed, his Hogwarts trunk half packed at his feet.

It was the night before he was to return to Hogwarts for his fourth year. Draco and I had agreed to spend it in our respective homes, to give the time that was needed to our sons, to give ourselves one last opportunity to make amends with them.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped inside.

"Hi," I said tentatively. Albus looked up at me and an awkward pause ensued.

"I'm- I'm sorry about today," I said, when it was clear he wasn't going to say anything. "But I'm glad you felt that you could turn to Draco, I'm glad you and Scorp-"

"Did you want anything, Mother? Or are you here to try and convince me that playing happy families with Daddy is the best thing for us all?"

"I've not come here to argue about Draco, Al. However, you do need to start accepting that he is in our life now. Him and Scorpius. And I know it has come as quite a shock to you, and that I have gone around it in the worst way, and I'm so, so sorry about that. But I promise you that I will do everything to make this work and to make sure that your happiness still comes first to me."

He looked down at the floor, saying nothing.

"Here," I said, taking my chances. "I've got something for you."

I pulled out a small blanket from behind my back. Albus looked at it, blinking.

"An old blanket?"

I sighed, walking up to his bed and sat down heavily next to him. I didn't fail to miss his flinch.

"I thought a lot about what to give you this year. You're fourteen years old now, Albus, and I wanted to give you something which - meant something. This - is the last thing I had from my mum. The only thing. I was given to the Dursley's wrapped in it. I thought it had gone forever and then - when your Great Aunt Petunia died, hidden amongst her possessions, surprisingly, Dudley found this - and he kindly sent it on to me, and ever since then - well, any time I've wanted luck I've found it and just tried to hold it and wondered if you..."

"Wanted to hold it too? Okay." He roughly snatched the blanket from my hand. "Done. Let's hope it brings me luck. I certainly need some."

He angrily threw it back on my lap. "But you should keep it."

I looked down at it sadly, tears swimming in my eyes. Taking another deep breath, I tried again.

"I think - believe - Petunia wanted me to have it, that's why she kept it and now I want you to have it from me. I didn't really know my mother - but I think she'd have wanted you to have it too. And maybe I could come find you - and it - on Hallows' Eve. I'd like to be with it on the night they died - and that could be good for the two of us..."

I tailed off as Albus gave me the most incredulous look.

"Listen," he snapped, irritation flashing in his eyes. "I've got quite a lot of packing to do, and you undoubtedly have Ministry work coming out of your ears so..."

"Albus, I want you to have the blanket." I insisted, placing it down next to him.

"And do what with it?"

My heart broke as I looked at my son - wanting desperately to reach out to him.

"Do you want a hand? Packing?" I tried, attempting a change of tactic. "I always loved packing. It meant leaving Privet Drive and going back to Hogwarts. Which was... well, I know you don't love it but..."

"For you, it's the greatest place on earth. I know." Albus sneered. "The poor orphan, bullied by her Uncle and Aunt Dursley-"

"Albus, please - can we just -"

"-traumatised by her cousin Dudley, saved by Hogwarts. I know it all, Mum. Blah blah blah."

"I'm not going to rise to your bait, Albus Potter." I said, starting to bristle with anger.

"The poor orphan who went on to save us all - so may I say - on behalf of wizarding kind. How grateful we are for your heroism. Should we bow now, or will a curtesy do?"

"Albus, please - you know, I've never wanted gratitude."

Yeah, right.

"But right now," Albus continued spitefully, "I'm overflowing with it - it must be the kind gift of this mouldy blanket that did it..."

I blinked, startled by his words. I was starting to feel panicked, control leaving my grasp.

"Mouldy blanket?"

"What did you think would happen? We'd hug. I'd tell you I always loved you. What? What?"

"You know what?" I yelled, finally losing my temper. "I'm done with being made responsible for your unhappiness. At least you've got a mum. Because I didn't, okay?"

"And you think that was unlucky?" Albus scoffed, giving me a look of pure hatred. "I don't."

"You wish me dead?" I spluttered, hurt ripping through my chest so violently that I felt I could not breathe.

"No! I just wish you weren't my fucking mum."

A shocked silence filled the room as his admission rang in the air. And I could not seem to help the words that proceeded to fall from my lips, hating myself as soon as I spoke them, hearing them out loud for myself.

"Well, there are times I wish you weren't my fucking son."

He winced, and I saw his face crumple.

"Wait-" I backtracked immediately, "I didn't mean that-"

"Yes. You did." His demeanour changed instantly; a cold, hard blankness filling his eyes.

"Albus, you just know how to get under my skin..."

"You meant it, Mum. And, honestly, I don't blame you." He sighed wearily, standing up. "You should probably leave me alone now."

"Albus, please..."

I watched in horror as he snatched up the blanket and threw it angrily out of his open bedroom window.

"Fuck you, Mother!"

*****