29

Karima sat up on the bed. She had been out for fifteen minutes. It took her few blinks of the eye then reality hit her.

Innalillahi

She threw the sheets off her and her heart broke a million times when her eyes fell on her blood stained white dress. She jumped off the bed and ran out of the room. She almost ran past Ya Isah and Uncle Khalifa but Uncle Khalifa was quick to grab onto her.

Her blurry vision prevented her from seeing who was holding her.

"My Anas, My Anas" was all that came from her mouth.

Other people in the hospital gave her pitiful looks as everyone knew what happened to her.
Uncle Khalifa held her shoulders and pulled her to him.
All he felt for her at the moment was pity, she was just a little over twenty, and today was supposed to be her happiest day.

He managed to drag her outside into the car and he sat with her in the back seat while Ya Isah drove.

Her sobs where heartbreaking as Ya Isah couldn't hold it in and wiped a few tears.

Ya Isah drove straight to Anas' house.
Karima jumped off the car immediately it came to a halt.

She kept praying and wishing that all the cars she saw and the numerous people there were there for the wedding, but her blood stained chalk white dress and the blood on her feet said otherwise.

Ummi looked away immediately she saw her and Lara engulfed her in a hug.

"I'm so sorry, K. May Allah forgive his shortcomings" Lara prayed.

"They asked for perfumes and I gave them the ones in your bag" she added

Karima was deaf to whatever everyone was saying.
"Where is he? Have they taken him yet? I haven't said goodbye yet" she managed to croak.

"They will call you soon" Lara informed and Karima could only nod.

She couldn't even explain what she felt, all she knew was there was tears falling from her eyes.

"The families can come see him" A strange man said from the living room.

Karima did not say a word as she let Ummi and Adama pass before she did.

Getting closer to the room she saw Abbu, Abby and Baba leave without sparing them a glance.

Uncle Khalifa came out, his eyes were red and his face was grim. His hands were still a little wet from giving the deceased a bath.

Karima let her mother in-law and sister in-law see him first, immediately Ummi came out, she broke into sobs. All efforts from Adama and other women to get her to stop were fruitless.

Karima entered into the empty room. The first thing she noticed was how cold the room was. Anas hated the cold, it was part of the reasons he doesn't stay out late.

She sat down next to him, he was covered in a white shroud. White was his favorite color, he'd make a fuss even if the perfume stained his white clothes.

"Anas. I'm so sorry, if you've ever annoyed me, knowingly or unknowingly, I've forgiven you with the whole of my heart. May Allah forgive you, may you always be under Allah's shade, may.............." she broke into sobs.

It still felt surreal to her, sitting by her less-than-24hours old husband's dead body.

"Anas, please.............oh Ya Allah, Anas"

"Oh my Rabb, forgive him and grant him peace, oh Allah I know there is no better way than this for him, ya Allah grant me the strength not to break, Ya Allah forgive my Anas, Ya Allah forgive your servant, Ya Allah forgive him.............."