xxvii

You're not exactly sure what to do. Ben never had the chance to tell you what time the dinner was, where it was, or if he was even coming to pick you back up.

You sit silently on your chair, thinking about what Grandmother said to you.

Do be nice to him dear. He is awful soft after all.

"Ben is not soft." You whisper to yourself. As if trying to make you see otherwise, you mind flits back to memories before Dantooine.

There's him lying in bed with you, his hair messy and tangled. Then he's helping you in the hospital after you got hurt. He's with Annie and Matthew, helping them train but not being too rough.

You sigh, and push the memories to the back of your mind.

At that exact moment, someone decides to walk in.

You turn your head slowly, trying not to disrupt the curls on your head.

It's Ben.

He's wearing his usual armor, except this time, it's more decorative. You guess it's just for show, not for fights. His cape, usually all black, is now threaded with silver. His mask is tucked under his arm.

"I'm guessing your not going mask less tonight? It's just for me, right?"

He sighs. "Just for you." He seems to scoff at the idea.

You stand up slowly and his eyes travel your whole length.

"You look good." He says.

"I could say the same about you." You reply.

It's silent for a moment.

"I have something for you." He finally says.

You walk forward and Ben reaches into one of his pockets.

"Open up your hand." He orders.

You do as he says, and feel something cold drop into your palm. You automatically close your fingers into a fist.

Ben removes his gloved hand quickly, making sure not to touch you.

You open your clenched hand and see something silver glistening. It's a chain and a dog tag.

"I know it'll clash with your outfit, but it's just to symbolize that you're...that you're...that we're together. You don't have to keep it after. A-and it doesn't mean anything. But the Coruscant people will be expecting you to wear it because we're together."

Your silent. Engraved on the tag is his name, his fake name. Kylo Ren.

"You do know what it is, don't you?" He asks.

"Of course I know what it is." You try and keep yourself from snapping at him.

The lucky girls who got to leave Jakku were often pretty and knew their worth. You know what the tags mean. They mean you're owned, mean you are somebody's.

"It doesn't mean anything." Ben repeats.

You nod your head and turn around, sweeping your hair to the side.

"Put it in would you?" You whisper. Ben takes the necklace out of your hands and fastens it around you neck.

His gloved fingers brush the nape of your neck and you shiver.

Ben removes his hand quickly and you find yourself longing for his warmth.

No Astrid. Don't be stupid. You remind yourself. But still....

"Shall we go?" Ben asks, dragging you out of your thoughts.

"Of course." You say. Your new necklace is cool against your skin and it hangs to right above your chest, the perfect length.