xliii

*Bens POV*

Living at the Resistance base is like living in prison. Astrid is the only one allowed to leave our room. She brings me food and she visits Matthew, making sure he's doing alright.

Almost a week in, a funeral is hosted for Annie.

Leia, Rey, Poe, Finn, Astrid, Matthew, and I are the only ones to attend it. It's a quick thing, and at the end, Leia offers two small vials to Astrid.

She takes them, gratefully, and hands one to Matthew. Then the two of them walk forward and scoop up a few flakes of ashes.

After that, the Resistance members walk away, leaving just Astrid and Matthew and I.

We stand, watching the last few flames lick the dewey grass.

Astrid turns her head away and buries it in my chest.

I lace one hand through her hand and reach the other out towards Matthew. He accepts it and I pull him in too.

Astrid begins to sob loudly and Matthew is silently shaking.

I don't say anything. Instead, I stand there hugging the both of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Astrids POV*

After the funeral, you've fashioned a necklace of sorts out of the vial. This way, Annie will never really leave you.

You head to the bathroom. Today you were supposed to get your period.

"I'm late." You whisper. "No, no it's fine." You say to yourself. You run your hands through your hair.

"But I'm never late." You say. Your thoughts drift back to a couple days ago. You shake your head. "This can't be happening!" You cry.

You pull at your hair. For a couple minutes, you sit on the toilet seat crying. Not now. Not when you're 19.

You take a few deep breathes, attempting to calm yourself. This mostly works, but you're still holding onto the roots of your hair.

You stand up quickly and make your way out of the bathroom. On the bed sits Ben. He looks up from the book he's reading.

"Where are you going?" He asks.

You flinch slightly and turn to look at him.

"Just getting some fresh air." You say. The lie burns your tongue. Ben's eyes soften.

"Please be careful." He says.

You crack a smile and nod. Your hand lingers on the three silver hilts at your waist.

"I always am."

Ben grins at you before turning his attention back to the unread paragraphs in his book.

You hurry out of the room and head towards Leia's office. You arrive there in no time, knowing the way by heart.

You knock softly on the door.

"Come in." Leia says. You push open the door and step inside.

Leia glances up at you. Her face softens.

"Astrid. How may I help you?"

You nervously fidget with my hands. How are you supposed to tell her? Maybe this was a dumb idea.

You gulp and look away from Leia's eyes.

"I uh...I missed my period today." You tell her. "And I never miss a day."