Chapter 16

Jamie

   After seeing Riley handcuffed and taken away I began to feel in some sort of shock. How did this happen and without warning? I suppose trouble didn't always knock at anyones door; more like break right through it, like an intruder.

   "You're coming home with me tonight?" My mother ordered.

   I wasn't resisting and for a split second I wanted to give in and hide behind the shields my parents created for me since birth. But it only lasted a second. Riley needed me and I wasn't a child anymore. Above that, I needed to be with Riley. She saw them blocking my way out and hit Jasper to protect me. I was terrified. The thought of Jasper or Derek touching me again sent chills through my body.

   I ignored my mothers voice sliding my hand out of her grip and turned looking for Tina. I saw Tina in her boyfriends arms crying and I ran over to her with new determination. "You call Riley's mother yet?"

   Tina shook her head. "I'm sorry girl. I will. It's just...like damn. This is all insane."

   "Jamie..." My mother began her usual barking again as if I would submit. She never quit. I continued to ignore her pulling out my phone.

    I dreaded making this call to Riley's mom but it had to be me. The phone rang and she didn't answer. I didn't want to leave anything too extreme on her voicemail so I told her it was important and to call back.

   Ricky and Paula ran up out of nowhere looking bewildered. "Riley was arrested...?" They asked in unison.

   I nodded as tears came back to my eyes. I gazed around at the few cops who were still here, interviewing witnesses. They had already sent Jasper off in the ambulance.

   "She punched Jasper and he hit his head against the edge of a table. It doesn't look too good," Tina stated, sniffing. "Like fuck..." She noticed me frown but ignored it. "Riley wasn't trying to hurt him like that. But, shit...he had no feelings on what he did to you."

   "He didn't do anything to me," I said feeling defenseless and feeble to her mentioning that aloud. The only one who was clueless was Tina's boyfriend though now I felt like he knew everything by her comment.

   Tina, Paula, and Ricky all gave me a look that said I was naive to think that. I know I was being naive and scared but this was my life and my pain they were opening up all over again. I wanted to shunt that memory out of me but it was pointless. It was the reason Riley acted so strongly.

   "You need to tell the cops..." Paula announced.

   "Don't you think I know that?" I was upset and scared. I never wanted that night to come to light but I had to for Riley. I felt exposed and turned my back to them. People gathered around inquisitive to the events that transpired here and I just wanted to leave. Riley was at the police station by now and too many people were coming out.

   "I just called your father. He's on his way." My mother walked up into our little circle, invasive.

   "No offense Mrs. Wells but...Riley needs our support and--"

   "My daughters been around that girl...long enough." My mother rudely cut off Ricky turning to me. "You should have heeded my warning about that girl."

   "That girl...was protecting your daughter," Ricky stated frowning at my mothers uncaring heart for Riley. Because she was gay she deserved what she got. Not the good but the bad.

   "She wouldn't have to if she wasn't attached to my daughter."

   I heard enough. "Please mom...go," I pleaded weakly to her.