2009

"Is it on yet?"

December 31, 2008. The team was sprawled out around Florence's house waiting for the ball to finally drop. Ai, Hannah, Tina, Cecilia, Pamela, and Frances were all on the 3 seater. Ronnie, Lisa, Sheila, and Cristina were on the live seat. Florence took the coffee table in front of the 3 seater. Elizabeth, Jackie, Natalie, and Sasha were at the island counter. Everyone else was moving around.

They decided to have a sleepover to ring the New Year in. A new year meant new opportunities, and a new status in the cheer world. For now the girls were relaxing, spending every last moment together, before the competitions were going to happen.

Taylor Swift was performing now, singing Love Story, some of the girls were singing along.

"It's hard to believe that 2008 is almost over."

"We have done so much, it felt like more than a year."

"And the next year will be even better!"

The time in New York was 11:38pm, it was only 10:38 in Iowa.

"We should change the channel to the one in our time zone."

Florence grabbed the remote and changed the channel.

"WELCOME BACK TO LOUISIANA'S HOTTEST CELEBRATION OF THE NEW YEAR!"

They just left the TV running until it was time for the new year to really begin.

Hannah went through a closet and found some old board games.

"Who wants to play?"

Ai, Ivonne, and Victoria join her.

The board game that Hannah picked out was called Sticks and Stonez, who can make it around the board first without getting hit by a stick or a stone. It was majorly difficult and takes normally about an hour to draw a winner.

Elizabeth, Michelle, and Olivia were in the kitchen, hanging out with some of the other girls on the island.

"How many tubs of ice cream did you guys really buy?"

"Just 3, nothing fancy."

"3 five gallon tubs?"

"We're making Neapolitan milkshakes for the whole team, you can't disappoint. And better to have extra than none."

Michelle put a spoon in her mouth.

Olivia was scooping ice cream into the blender, while Elizabeth was starting the blender.

Ronnie decided to help too and add whipped cream, cherries, and chocolate drizzle on top of all of the milkshakes.

Cindy has basically sprawled on the coach, and Anna and Lisa were right in front of her.

"Wake up you sleepyhead."

Cindy was barely awake.

"Huh? Did I miss the ball drop?"

"Yes."

Kate yelled from outside the room.

"No she didn't!"

"We're trying to prove a point, Kate!"

"Why can't I ever sleep?"

"Because you could probably sleep your days away."

"I only sleep 6..."

"Sixteen hours a day."

"Not 16!"

"Do we have to pour ice cold water on you?"

"No."

Florence's house only had one bathroom. If anybody had to go, Florence would make them use the buddy system. One person would stand in the shower, the other would use the toilet.

Jackie and Tina were in the bathroom, trying not to make noise. Jackie was checking herself out in the mirror.

BOOM!

"Tina?"

"Ow."

Jackie unveiled the shower curtain to Tina.

"What happened?"

"I slipped on something."

"What is there to slip on?"

"Shampoo or soap. Something like that."

"Jeez Tina, you almost gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry."

"Are you fine other than that incident?"

"Yeah, I'm just clumsy sometimes, you know?"

"THE BALL DROP IS HAPPENING IN 10 MINUTES! GIRLS!"

"Florence is calling us."

"Let's go."

Everyone gathered in the living room again. Elizabeth called every girl over for a milkshake and they grabbed them, sipping on them with whatever color straw that they had liked.

Florence got up from her seat.

"Before 2008 ends for good, I just wanted to say a few things. I am more than just glad that I have met you all. We as a team have been through thick and thin. At time we survived on not much while other times we thrived. I'm sorry for that, there were just times when money was super tight, really I'm sorry. But other than that, I don't want to get too sentimental on that issue. We have met so many new people and we have such a wonderful team of 26. From the set of Cheerleader America to Las Vegas, our team is full of personality and life. What makes us different unites us all. I couldn't be happier for this team, and I wouldn't trade any of you guys ever. Although we are not perfect, nobody is perfect. Making mistakes is how we learn. And 2009 will be a year of opportunity, competitions are going to start to see who is the best superteam, and hey, we might get some more recruits to join us. Thank you all for such a wonderful year, I couldn't ask anyone better than all of you guys, I love you all."

Everyone joined with Florence and gave her a massive hug.

"We have 1 more minute before 2009 starts, show the ball!"

The great big crystal ball was shown, glittering and shining. The team counted down the seconds until 2009 was going to start.

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1....."

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Goodbye 2008, hello 2009. Another big hug from the whole team, and another shout.

After about 20 minutes.

"Can I go to sleep?"

Cindy fell asleep in her sleeping bag.

The room was silent for 15 minutes, until Hannah started laughing and dancing around like a goofball.

Everyone joined her in having a good time, playing air guitar and singing songs from the 1990's. It felt more like 1999 instead of 2009. Most of the team was born in the 90's, so they all knew the songs by heart. And there was a singing battle of Material Girl between 2 teams. Rolling Thunder and Lightning Strikeout. And tons of dance battles and dance circles. The final dance battle of the night was between Elizabeth and Florence. Elizabeth would hit hard, but Florence would always surprise everyone with a super counter attack in dance.

The team woke Cindy up at 3 in the morning and they participated in what was the biggest pillow fight of the decade. Feathers were everywhere, and luckily and somehow no glass was shattered.

At the end of the night, Florence laid in her sleeping bag, tired and exhausted from the New Years bash, to her left was Pamela.

"You throw a good sleepover Florence."

"Thank you."