Just Relax

Jake and Rachelle were studying in the library for a test in History. The library was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop, and the two only looked at their textbooks and once in a while, at each other, to see if they both understand.

"Hey um...."

Jake's words got Rachelle's attention.

"This might be a bit weird to say, but I like being your study buddy. You're always on task and you never procrastinate at all."

"You too."

Rachelle looked down back at the book which was opened to the Panic of 1837.

Jake kept on staring at her, suddenly becoming dreamy about her.

He went back to staring and studying the same page, but he just couldn't focus. All he kept on thinking was Rachelle. Rachelle, Rachelle, Rachelle.

The only thing that he could look at was Rachelle, even when focused, she's charming. The serious and studious side of her is different than her vocal and confident side of her.

'How do some people do it?'

Jake thought, the thought of Rachelle makes him all giddy inside, even when she's not right in front of him.

Page, her, page, her. All over and over, making it seem like Jake's mind was running in circles again.

How does he put the words correctly and how will he say it without her death glaring him or thinking that he's stupid?

All of that looking caused Rachelle to look up.

"Are you ok?"

Jake could only look down.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Rachelle touched his hand.

"Hey It's ok, you know. Just relax."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not an idiot, you were staring at me then the page and me then the page. Are you nervous around me or something like that?"

"No."

'Yes'

"Maybe we should get some things out of the way before you drive yourself up a wall of nervousness. I won't ask you the questions off the bat, but let's make it a study session."

"Uh, ok."

Jake felt his own nerves shaking.

"Question 1, what is my full name?"

"Rachelle Otieno."

"Question 2: Where am I from?"

"Uh, South Kingstown, Rhode Island?"

"I'm surprised you got the one right. Question 3, when is my birthday?"

"March? 23?"

Rachelle nodded.

"Question 4, where so my ancestors come from?"

"How do you expect me to know that one?"

"All 16 of us are so close knit. We basically know everything about each other."

"Hold on, I'm trying to remember."

Jake thought for a little while.

'Ugh, we had the conversation when we first met, what is the answer?'

"Uh, I'll guess."

"Go ahead."

"French and Kenyan?"

"You're not wrong. Ok, question 5, what is my position while doing stunts?"

"Obviously a base."

"Correct. Question 6, what floor is my room located on?"

"The second floor."

"Question 7, who's my roommate?"

"Zoe or Nadia?"

"You have to pick one."

"I'll go with Nadia."

"Question 8, what is everyone's first impression of me? This one is a freebie, so say what you want, I'm actually curious."

"You know, at first, I thought you were intimidating, I don't think that now. You were just somebody who seemed cold, stoic, and aloof at times, like nothing bothered you, and you were always assertive and confident. But, getting to know you now, you're a whole different person."

Rachelle lightly blushed.

"I never knew that you felt that way."

Rachelle smirked and threw all of the flash cards on the floor.

"Screw it."

Jake got confused and a little bit scared.

"Screw all of this. I just want to get one thing straight."

Oh god, here come the big rejection.

"Ugh, how do I say this? Why do I feel this way? Who invented this feeling? Screw all of the rules, I want you."

Rachelle pointed at Jake. Jake looked at her finger like it was a bullet.

This was not what Jake was expecting. He was expecting more of a whack with a newspaper than say what she just said.

"I want you so bad, and I don't think I could've survived being in school without you, Jake Hoxha. And yeah, some might say that you are forgettable, but I never forgot you, even if you never spoke. When did I develop feelings for you? I'm not sure, but my feelings are certain, and I hope you feel the same way."

Jake was still in shock, which caused Rachelle to worry.

"Oh no, did I say too much or overwhelm you? I'm sorry, I just overwhelm people naturally, I can't help it."

"No, no, no, no. Rachelle, it's not you, don't even think that you're the problem. You like me and I like you. Whenever, I'm in front of you, I get so giddy and I can't sit still. My mind often wanders into scenarios of us and just saying that makes me embarrassed. But, not anymore, because I found somebody who understands me and although both of us are often looked over, doesn't mean that Uh......"

Jake could no longer find the words to say anymore. His heart and Rachelle's hearts were speeding down the racetrack, going so fast that they could hear the heartbeat through their ears alone.

Rachelle looked around for a second before she got up from her seat and kissed Jake from across the table. Jake was still and he let her kiss him as much as she wanted to.

"You know, I always wanted to do this for a long time, I'll tell you that, Jake."

Jake kissed her back and he stood up from the table.

"I do like you, Rachelle."

"They say the first times are awkward."

Jake was about to lean in for another kiss.

"But....."

Rachelle shooed his lips away.

"I don't want to take things too fast. Yeah, we're not boyfriend and girlfriend yet, but more like Romantic Interests, no? If you don't want to do that, it's ok. But, I prefer to take things slow, until I'm ready."

"Hey, I'll always be patient with you."

"Good."

Jake and Rachelle started to hold hands as they gazed at each other and smiled before leaving the library.