Flashbacks..

A year ago...

" Anjali.. what are you doing? It's my engagement not yours! You are putting up a makeup heavier than me!"
My sister shouted at me... I giggled at her. She has not learnt the art of impressing others even in her twenty six years of life. I love dressing up, and I don't care if I dress up more than the bride herself. After all it's my sister's wedding, and it's my birth right to steal everyone's attention in her ceremonies.

" My fiancee is my boyfriend of eight years, Anjali... he is tolerating me since we both were eighteen. I don't want him to stare at others. You know, men will be men. So, please at least allow me to enjoy everyone's attention, atleast for today."

I giggled at her pleas, there's no better joy than the joy of seeing your sibbling pleading in front of you, especially if she's the elder one.

My sister, looked beautiful in a pink lehenga, her hair neatly made into a bun. Locks of hair emerged from the sides adding more beauty to her pretty face.

"Jiju will die today after seeing you."

She blushed... and her cheeks glowed pink with the added costumes. I was happy for her. Love is a rare gift of life. And my sister is lucky to get married to the love of her life.

Honey, do have control over your hormones, I don't want to see my sister and my would be brother-in-law making out in front of five hundred guests.

She was about to punch me, her cheeks more enhanced with her blood circulating faster, when mom came knocking on the door.

" Enough of fun! Anjali, bring Aisha down. Rohan has arrived with his family."

Don't kill my brother-in-law didi! I teased her.

She smiled, blushed and was exited for the biggest day in her life. I brought her down along with a few of my friends.

My eyes didn't fail to notice how my brother-in-law was staring at my sister, forgetting that his parents are standing next to him. Years of dating didn't reduce the love they had for each other.

They both stood together, and looked so perfect, just as they were made for each other. The photographer clicked a few pictures until it was time for the rings to be exchanged.

They exchanged their rings and I prayed to God, never to let them part.

My sister left her phone with me and suddenly it ranged. I picked up the call..
" Hello! This is from the Central Medical Hospital. Your daughter's blood reports have arrived and we are sorry to inform that the condition is rather serious. Please visit the hospital soon."

My world came crashing down with fear. I don't know what blood reports they were talking about.

The next day I confronted my sister.
"When did you go for a blood test?"

" A few days ago, when I fainted after coming back from work."

They called from hospital, we have to go to collect the reports.

From then, our world was never the same again.

She was suffering from stage four Leukaemia. She was dying.

My parents couldn't accept the fact their daughter was dying. Rohan was speechless to know all his dreams are in vain.

Yet, Aisha di didn't complain for once. She accepted her fate and wrote three diaries in the next two months, one for me, one for mom and dad, and one for her love, Rohan.

When her condition worsened we sat at her bed day and night.

" Anjali, I couldn't live long to fulfil my duties as a sister, as a daughter."
"Rohan, I am sorry I couldn't fulfil my promises and duties towards you."

"Before I die, I want you to make a few promises.
Anjali promise me, you will look after mom and dad after I go. Take care of them, take care of yourself. Be an understanding daughter. Lastly, take care of Rohan, I know he will be devastated after I go, you will be devastated after I go, but be strong and remember I am always in your heart.

Rohan, promise me you will take care of my sister, and promise me you will find someone and marry, I dont want you to destroy yourself after I go. Take care that my sister chooses the right person. I love you, I always will."

Rohan was speechless at her promise of marrying someone other than her.

With a smile on her lips, her head on my Dad's lap, my mother near her head, one hand clutching mine, her other hand clutching Rohan's.

And then she closed her eyes forever.

Cancer, didn't destroy her body cells but our family relations too. My parents couldn't accept the fact their daughter had left them forever. Rohan went into deep depression. Meanwhile I took the responsibilities she had asked me to take. I realised her importance, her responsibilities once she was gone.