I am his Wedded Wife.

"We have to perform the pheras."

As he moved ahead of me, with every  step that I take I feel a different sense of oneness, with every step I feel that I am getting a bit closer to him. I might not get his love in my entire life, but I shall love him with my everything. I shall perform my duty as a wife and support him in his success and failures. It's my vow to bring a smile on his face through my efforts. I can't change the past, but it's my promise to make the future beautiful.

"Now Anjali, will lead Rohan. "

As I lead him, I take the vow to lead him in the right path whenever he deviates. I shall perform my duty as his wife as long as he gives me a chance.

"Rohan, you have to put the vermellion. "

I felt my hairs standing up at the thought, " I am married."

He didn't look directly into my eyes.

"Lean closer, Rohan or else it might enter her eyes. "

He leaned closer to me and I could feel my skin heating up with his every breath. Finally, he removes my maangtika to redden my head with the tag of "married."

The vermilion has also landed up on my nose.

"You are going to have a happy married life Anjali!", Natasha said after noticing my red nose.

The rest of the rituals were almost bleak for me. I am feeling sleepy and my legs are aching. I just wish to ask Rohan one question, " Does he accept me as his wife?"

"Bring the thaali, we have to perform the vidaai ceremony."

"Before leaving my house I want to sit in my room for sometime mom."

"Yes sure, take rest."

My eyes are trying to absorb every bit of my room, the room where I have studied my entire life, the bed where I have slept almost every day, the walls which Aisha dii and I had decorated together, the pillows with which we have fought, the wardrobe where we used to keep our clothes and everything.

Aisha dii, I miss you! Why aren't you here to bid me farewell?

My essentials have already been packed. I pick up a photo frame containing our pictures.

"Mom, please send some of Aisha dii's clothes too! I can feel her presence wearing those."

I hug my parents. They are happy for me yet I can feel they are worried.

"It's time to take the bride!"

Rohan and I have to sit beside each other in the car which would carry me to my in law's house.

I look at him. He is staring out of the window absent mindedly.

When a girl leaves her parent's house, the only thing that she wants is suport of her husband. And I will have to fight for this maybe my entire life!

As soon as we reached his house, my mother-in-law welcomed me. Admist all the confusion, the smile on her face relieved me.

"Consider this as your own home, don't feel an outsider."

Her smile assured me I am going to have a good mother-in-law, not like the ones potrayed in movies.

My luck gifted me with something good at least!

Rohan vanished as soon as he entered his house. His pain reflects through his eyes, I will reduce this one day, it's my promise as a wife.

Rohan's extended family is treating me well.

"You are my sister-in-law but I shall call you Anjali, as you are younger to me", Rohan's sister said.

"Thank you Shristi dii."

When everyone is introducing themselves to me, half of their names are not even registering in my mind. I am too tired for that.

"So Anjali, how old are you?"

"Twenty-one."

"So how did this magic take place?"

"Excuse me aunty, I didn't get you. "

"The magic of trapping Rohan into your bonds of love!"

"It's not a love marriage aunty", I said politely.

"Rohan was in love with your sister Aisha, was about to marry her, but she died unfortunately. He was in depression and suddenly he decided to marry you! How's that possible without some tricks of love? "

I am taken aback. I don't know what to say.

"There's no trick of love involved. "

"Our son is too innocent to understand such tricks! Marrying your sister's fiancee! Didn't you feel an inch of shame?"

My eyes have welled up with tears. My soul is tearing apart inside! Aisha dii! Have I done something wrong?

"Aunty stop defaming her in front of everyone ! She didn't apply any tricks. "

" Already wife's pet!"

"For speaking the truth I don't have to be my wife's pet. I proposed her for marriage. I persuaded her to agree to marry me. I have known her for long and I wasn't ready to marry any stranger. It's my request don't defame her. She is a good girl. She is my wife."

Did he just take a stand for me? My heart did a bit of salsa at this turn of events.

"Rohan, thanks for taking my side."

"I did my duty Anjali."

"Still, a big thank you. "

"I have promised to respect you as my wife, even though I won't ever fall in love with you."

Aisha dii, I know I haven't done anything wrong. I know you won't be upset with me. I shall take care of him as I had promised you.

"Anjali, take the room upstairs and rest. Tomorrow you will have your reception."

I am hell tired after the wedding. I just dozed off to sleep with a lot of emotions doing gymnastics inside my head.