The next Day

It's a strange aspect of human nature. It knows to break the rules it creates for itself.

Oh no! It's 10 o'clock and I am still asleep! My mother in law must be thinking her son has married a sloth bear.

The no man's line that I had created with the pillows last night had been crossed by both of us. Rohan's fingers had broken the border and touching mine.

For one moment I am lost, lost in the episodes of my changing life. This crossing of the partition was not by our hearts, it was by our hands. There's nothing to feel good about it and yet I don't feel like moving my hand away and separating the little touch that has happened unintentionally. Am I falling in love?

I have to do it before he notices. I have to erase this crossing of boundaries. Before I can react to my thoughts, I find his eyelids fluttering. Soon, he was wide awaken and the first thing he notices are his fingers touching my palm.

"I am sorry Rohan, it was unintentional. "

"It's okay."

I have to move out from here before he shows his anger for this crossing of boundaries.

"Hey! Stop Anjali!"

Did he actually ask me to stop? How romantic it would have been if we would have been in love and he would ask me to stop and kiss me sweetly on my forehead. Alas! That wont happen.

"Do you need something?"

"I don't need something, but you need definitely. Look at yourself, adjust properly before moving out."

With this Rohan stormed out of the room. Adjust? What to adjust?

Oh no! Have I become an undead who doesn't have any senses? How could I not realise that half of my saree is undone!

I am too careless when the concern is dressing.

Did he actually notice me in a half undone saree? The thought itself is enough to make me red with embarrassment.

This could have been a romantic Bollywood scene but neither my husband loves me, nor would he notice me.

As a newly wedded bride I should not be spending my first day after marriage sitting on the bed.

I have to get ready and attend to the guests.

There's nothing more good other than a cool shower bath on a warm day like this. I turn on the shower and let the water wet me completely. It feels so good when the water falls over my scalp wetting my waist length hair. The touch of water drops on my skin feels so sensuous. I touch my forehead to cleanse my face with the face wash. What the hell? When did I hurt myself? Why am I bleeding?

My hands have become red and I want to scream my lungs out. Oops! It's nothing but the vermillion which got washed under the shower! I am married, I should be accustomed to such experiences everyday for the rest of my life.

I don't know to drape a saree properly but I have to do it, I can't afford to roam around the house in short tops since the second day of my marriage.

I drape a cotton saree with great difficulty and get ready to go downstairs. The clock shows 11:30. I have taken one and half hours just to get ready!!

"Aunty, shall I help you out with something?", I found Rohan's mother cutting veggies for lunch in the kitchen.

"No dear, it's okay. And call me 'mom'."

Although I am in the kitchen, my eyes are searching for a glimpse of Rohan.

"Rohan, has left for office, Anjali."

How did she know I am searching for Rohan? I didn't tell her anything. Are my eyes reflecting the desires to get a glimpse of my husband? It's true that mothers know everything.

"Office?? Is there an emergency?"

"Maybe.. he won't be back till 9 o clock, or ten. You can look around in the house. We have a beautiful garden."

Having no other work to do, I decided to take a stroll in the garden. It's the time of spring and the garden is filled with new leaves. There is joy everywhere in nature. The flowers are in full bloom. The nature celebrates the joy of new life every spring. My life should be having the spring of new love now, instead it's like a withering flower. I just wish if love would have bloomed in his heart too...

A beautiful pink rose has bloomed in one corner of the garden. I love roses. This flower will wither away after a day or two. I cannot control my urge to pluck it. Should I pluck it? Will Rohan get offended if I pluck this rose from his garden?

I cannot control myself further. Without a second thought I plucked the rose. With no other work to do, I have decided to arrange Rohan's room which I have to share too.

I placed the rose in a vase and kept it by the window side. It is looking beautiful.

I spent the rest of the day in leisure, waiting for his return.

Around 9'o clock I heard the door bell ringing. I sprang up to my feet to greet him. Wait a minute Anjali! Doesn't it look too desperate? He will be coming here soon. You should sit here like a good wife.

As I had predicted, Rohan entered into the room. Soon his eyes fell on the rose in the vase.

Will he like it? Will he not....

"Who plucked this rose?"

"I.. I did. "

"Whom did you ask before plucking?"

"No... n..o... o..n..e"

"Nobody touches my rose plants without my permission. Remember this from today onwards."

He stormed out of the room with a diary in his hand.

Tears rolled down my eyes. He makes me feel like a stranger in the house which is supposed to be mine.

Who scolds his newly wedded wife for plucking a rose? What's there in that diary which he took with so much care??

My sweet readers thanks for coming till here.. the suspense is building.. what do you think could be in the diary?

Your votes and comments will encourage me to write more.
With lots of love for my readers ❤