Aaron Hotchner + 70 & 76

A/N: A quick drabble requested over on my Ao3!

70. "So you hate me now too? Join the club."

76. "Go ahead, laugh at the girl who cares too much."

Fights were horrid. Fights were nasty. You hated fights of any kind, but most of all, you hated fighting with him. It was a fight about his work, which you hated most of all. That was why Haley had left him, after all. And you were not Haley. Not that he loved you any more or any less than he had once loved her, but you were different.

Except... maybe not as different as you had hoped. When he had missed a date for the fourth- or was it fifth?- time, you lost it. In the heat of the moment, you had said something which you now most certainly regretted. Over a phone call, no less.

You reached for Snowy, hoping to find some comfort in your beloved fuzzy friend, but you found yourself snubbed in favor of a sunny windowsill, the lazy little thing.

"So you hate me now too?" you asked, flopping back onto the couch. "Join the club..."

Just then, that familiar, customized ringtone rang out, and your heart skipped a beat. This was what you'd wanted, after all... Right? Then why were you so nervous?

"Hello?"

"(Y/N)?" It was Aaron. Well, of course it was, because that's what the caller ID and custom ringtone meant.

"I'm here, Aaron."

"I'm... sorry. I didn't mean to miss it again."

A tired sigh escaped your lips, unbidden.

"I know. I'm sorry too... I didn't mean to say... what I said. I just... You know, the reason I get upset isn't because you missed dinner, or whatever. I get upset because... that's one more time you're in danger that I didn't have time to mentally prepare for. When I know in advance that you're going somewhere, I can rationalize it, but when it's last minute like this..."

You trailed off, unsure to say, when you heard a soft chuckle from the other end of the line.

"Go ahead, laugh at the girl who cares too much," you teased good-naturedly. It was good to hear him laugh again. That meant everything was alright... that all was forgiven.

"I understand, (Y/N)," he said. "And I just want to say..."

Just then, he was interrupted by a knock on the door. You sighed.

"One second, Aaron, there's somebody here."

You brought the phone with you as you opened the door. On the other side, there stood the profiler himself, phone in hand and a little half-smile on his face.

"I just wanted to say that I'd love to make dinner up to you tonight, if you'd like."

You quickly tossed your phone onto the little table by the door and threw your arms around his neck, pressing your face into his shoulder.

"Of course, Aaron..."

He wrapped his arms around you in return, enclosing you in that familiar embrace.

"Then it's a date."