Chapter I

A stunner on her stilettos is thumping against a marble flooring of Martinez Law Firm, renown and formidable in the field of legal matters, struts along the narrow bustled hallway. Its clickity clack betokens her well-versed and intimidating stance in the said field. Pairs of eyes budge on her tempo as though a star fell off the ground; glimmering and fascinating. The four-corner room was set to acknowledge her arrival as though a prime has just set foot in their premises. Mr. Ariel Martinez, firm founder and her point of coming, proclaimed her junction to the firm.

It revved up the ambiance of Martinez Law Firm.

She struts and owns the floor with equal aplomb, "Hi, everybody. My heart is full upon seeing your welcoming countenance. I see grins everywhere, and I'm pumped up to kick off this day with all of you. Regardless of the chosen legal area, we share the same profession in attaining justice. Same duties to apprise clients of their legal rights and give them a steer. And, I surmise that we could get along pretty well"

"Are you single Atty Lea?" Atty. Santiago, goofy one, asks. A wave of laughter fused into air, and resonates in all corners of the room.

"Hoy kayo! Loyal ako sa asawa ko noh. I'm asking in behalf of Atty. Aga" he protests.

"Naku pasensiya ka na Atty. Lea, our favorite topic is Atty. Aga when it comes to women. Unfortunately ... I mean fortunately, he's not around yet", Atty. Monteiro jests. She is welcomed with overwhelming gestures from affable people around, but getting through the firm has nothing to do with camaraderie.

She set foot onto the firm entailed with vengeance in her heart.

○ ○ ○

She was given a quick tour by her secretary, Ms. Alina Buencamino, to acquaint her around the four-storey building. Interiors are designed in modernity with mid-century modern style furniture and office wall paintings. A large fountain welcomes the comers upon getting through the firm. Good fortune plants grew in huge vases settled the ambiance into soothing one.

"This would be your office, Atty. Lea", she twists the knob and a well-decored chic office flaunts before her naked eyes.

"I prefer Atty. Salazar instead", Lea shows off a sweet smile, but it didn't ebb Alina's tremor.

"I-I apologize, Atty. Salazar" , apologetic Alina looks down in self-conscious distress.

"Okay ka lang? It's alright. Relax. You look so tense", she smiles at her.

Day kicks off and bustled with versing herself to the firm's norms and set of principles. She machinates a way to avenge her murdered father. On her own devices, she's equipped of a game plan to bring down Mr. Martinez. Ages of silence meet surcease at this juncture.

She came prepared.

Noon took over the breezy morning. Her tummy rumbles reminding herself of a skipped-breakfast this morning. She is pumped up to kick off her first day of game plan. But she can't hold out til its last page with an empty stomach, and so she rose to feet. Eyes glimmer around when she struts the hallway. She couldn't care less, and quickened her pace instead when the lift was about to close. She managed to wedge her slender fingers before it shut, and jab the button. Then, a man next to her with dignified appearance leans against the wall, but she is nonchalant.

Arriving late, eating lunch on time, indulging heavy workloads — his day to day life goes like that. But today is different when his eyes landed on the most alluring woman he ever witnessed in life. The elevator is about to shut when she quickened her tempo to wedge fingers before it shut. He gaped at her beauty as his eyes run over her entirety.