Chapter XIII

The program went well and their giveaways made the children feel happy even more.

They're both at the parking lot.

"Uuwi ka na?" he's beside his car. The entire morning with her isn't enough for him.

"Yes. How about you?" she's facing him while leaning on her car.

"Mmmmm. How about .... drinks?"

"Drinks? At 3pm? You're a boozer."

"I'm not. I just want to kill time" he lied.

"And why me? Why not Atty. Santiago?" she can sense he's lying.

"He's a married man. Weekend is his family time so I don't want to disturb him"

"I am a woman. Isn't that awkward? Makikipag inuman ka sakin?"

"Attorney, am I under arrest or something? You're interrogating me."

She chuckled.

"You're lying Atty. Martinez. All men have the same lines" she turned and lifted the car door exterior handle.

He couldn't hide anything to her.

"I like you" he can't control his feelings anymore. He wants to make everything straight before Atty.Raven gets in his way.

It's now or never.

She faced him. "What? You ... like me? We just started as friends for like .... one day? Oh come on! Don't tell me you fell for me just because you heard me sang" she laughed but he looks serious.

"I know everything seems so fast. I ... Lea, we're no longer teens or kids. Let's set aside all 'pacute moves'. I just wanna get real to you. I don't need your answer right now. Gusto ko lang malaman mo yung nararamdaman ko" he feels nervous and started doubting himself if he's making sense.

"Don't expect anything from me. We're mere strangers to each other"

"Lei ..."

"Ags, stop. I don't like this kind of conversation"

"Just .... give me chance, Lei"

"No. You don't know anything about me. We're better off as friends but if you want more than that we should just remain colleagues", he is a good guy, that's what she thinks of him, but at the end she knows he'll get hurt. She is full of pain because of Aga's father and for that she needs to build boundaries between her and Aga. He is not part of her plan and will never be part of it.

"What else should I know about you?" he is persistent.

"In time, you'll know more of me. Wag mo na akong ligawan, we better stay like this, as friends. Nothing more", she entered her car and go.

He remains there thinking about those words she said. He is telling himself that maybe it's too late, maybe Atty. Raven won her heart. He can't blame her. For a month of being her colleague, all he did was to piss her off. All he did was to treat her as competitor.

I like you

I just wanna get real to you

Just give me chance

These words are running back and forth her mind while driving. She strokes her temple leaning an elbow on the side window.

Lei, enough okay? Enough. Just get this f*cking plan done and go back to US.

Aga arrived at his house, threw his car key on the table and lay down his couch. Her face is running on his mind. Those words she said thrust his heart. He's been telling himself to stop thinking about her but his heart is beating fast just remembering her face.

Stop it, Ags. Stop it. Inayawan ka na, huwag mo ng habulin.

It's Monday morning and he hates the traffic it brings. He scheduled a meeting with his accountant to discuss important matter regarding their financial issues. For years in the firm, he didn't lay hands to any of their financial concerns. This is probably the right time to prove his father that he can lead their firm once his dad retired.

He parked his car and stepped out. He went first to his office, placed the briefcase on the table and headed to the conference room.

"Annie, I want you to be honest with me. What is our financial status?" he stroked his chin.

"Attorney, we are losing money. The truth is we should have filed for bankruptcy three years ago"

He combed his hair with his fingers, trying to calm himself, "But we have a number of clients, how did that happen?"

"Yes but it is not enough to cover all our liabilities and at the same time loss"

"How about the other branches?"

"I am surprised that you do not know much about this, attorney"

He felt curious, "what do you mean?"

"The other branches are not generating enough income since last year. We have lawyers who resigned because we can no longer afford to ..."

"What!? My dad didn't inform me anything about that. All this time I thought those branches are doing great!" he is furious.

"Regarding that one, you better ask your father. That's not part of my job. There's only one way I can suggest. We should file for bankruptcy to close other branches"

"All of those four branches? Teka muna baka naman kaya pa. Annie, I do not know business that much but what if we do advertisement? Or hire newbie lawyers? For sure maraming mag aapply satin lalo na't kakalabas lang ng bar exam result. We are known around the city and even outside the town."

"Attorney, this is not about our people. We are facing financial distress and we've been trying to overcome it for years but the truth is we can't anymore. Ang dami ng nagsisilabasan na bagong law firms ngayon with better benefits and kung gusto mong isave tong firm, that's all I can suggest. Close the other branches"

"Okay. Let's assume we close our branches, Annie, we are putting dirt to our firm. Pagpipiyestahan ang firm natin sa media. Pag uusapan tayo sa buong city"

"So be it. Wala tayong magagawa, hindi natin pwede bayaran ang media para lang huwag tayo pag usapan. First, that is another expense in our part. Second, we have bigger problems to face. Kung hindi natin to malulusotan, tax evasion ang haharapin ng pamilya niyo plus charges and your dad's license is at risk. You might lose everything with just one snap."

"I will talk to dad regarding the filing of bankruptcy"

"Galingan mo. I've done that many times pero wala eh. Baka sayo makinig yun" she shrugged.

He is thinking a lot of things while walking back to his office. This is the biggest problem that they've experienced by far. He turned right and almost bump into Lea.

Their eyes met but he then avoided her. He walked away that quick. After that confession yesterday, he decided to stop pursuing her.

She wasn't expecting it.