Chapter XXXVII

Woah! I reached 5k! Readers, thank you so much for the reads, comments and votes! I won't get tired thanking each of you 🥺

Stay safe ebliwan! ❤️
_______________________________

The venue is filled with a sea of people whom she mostly met before. She arrived on time with Joey and is able to catch up with some old friends on the same field. They talk much about life when one of her friends diverts the topic to the newly arrived man. It's her third shot of champagne to ease the growing tense in her but is ineffective. Her eyes roam around the venue amidst the causerie she's on but her attention was captured by their chat. Her maiden friends giggled from their descriptions of that certain man - cute dimples, genuine smile, attractive and other attributions of someone she's acquainted with.

He is with an older man and walks to the group of people. She throws furitive glances few feet away from him. They join in whatever conversation that is and clearly he enjoys the company. Her eyes could notice the glimmer of changes in him. He looks well-improved. Probably life is turning things in his favor while she, on the other hand, remains in the dark past. It clenched her heart from that thought. But, what's done is done. They're strangers with old memories buried in the past.

Joey elbowed her side gently so she pulled herself together.

"Tawag ka na, attorney" Joey reminded her.

She sipped her champagne 'til its last drop before owning the floor. The crowd applauded as she sashays her way up to the stage. She grins to conceal the uneasiness there is. His gaze landed on her and she's conscious of it. The mic is handed to her and she takes it to give warm message. His stares are enticing as it used to be and she tries so hard to shun it. Her palms turned sweaty of which the champagne is no great help.

But, the next second she glances at him he already turned his back and walked away.

The sudden dismay and heart stings disheveled her mind. It shouldn't be like this but she can't help it. Questions disrupted her 'til she gets back to her table where Joey throws a concern look.

"Attorney? Are you okay?" she asked Lea.

"Yes. I'm fine. Don't mind me" she reached for a shot of tonic.

In years of forgetting she should have nada over him by now. His presence inflamed her at this moment. He rains on her parade and she can't regain her full attention to this event. Her mind tags along when he walked away. People around are having fun while the night is young but she's on her table huffing and puffing. Imbibing her umpteenth shot inadvertently, she feels a bit tipsy. Lea goes back to her senses when Joey speaks up from behind and, just like that, she wants to disappear into thin air.

"This is Agent Edwin Truciano. The founder of M.A Private Intelligence Agency" Joey, her know-nothing-about-her-past right-hand, introduced him.

They said that the more you avoid someone the more they come close to you and it hit her hard. So bad. At that moment she wishes silently for the floor to crack open and devour her alive. Agent Truciano extended his arm for a handshake of which Lea accepts it.

But, her full attention is to the man coming towards them.

He breathes in and out to release his frustration. Though it's been years but the past disheartens him until this very day. He went through a lot while she is living her life to the fullest. He wants to end this pain but it only comes back upon seeing her presence.

But, he won't give her satisfaction.

The past isn't over yet for him. He came prepared and that should frighten her. It's enough for all the heartaches he's been through and now is the perfect time to make her pay the price. He will make her pay the price.