Chapter II

It's passed 7pm when she reached her unit. It has a modern Scandinavian elements, brick walls and lovely bleached pine wood - simple and cozy. Minimalism is her kind of interior design — simplicity betokens tranquil ambiance. Her wall design apiece is of her own choice — abstract wall painting and wall paint are soothing to the eyes — as well as the rest of the details. Being in the country isn't for good, and so she opted to live in a condominium rather than a house. A steamy steak matches with bottle of red wine makes her tummy growl. She hops in her couch with plate on her hand and jab the remote control. It's her kind of dinner after a long day of acquainting herself of the firm's policies. Her phone beeps in a verge of enjoying her meal, and Lora's name popped up. She is her best friend since day one of law school. They share shallow to deep secrets. Above all else, she is a sister to her as well. Lea grew up with only her mother who's close at hand. Meeting Lora felt like having a sibling from different womb. And like usual sisters do, she knew as well Lea's main point of coming to the firm. Lora is her medium in being a part of the Martinez Law Firm. She submitted Lea's documents entailed with sugarcoated words to coax Mr. Martinez into hiring Lea. Truth be told, Lea could ace nearly anything even without her help. She is equipped with so much knowledge in life and to her profession, but Mr. Martinez has upscale criterion in hiring lawyers.

She rolled eyes upon skimming through her message. Lora wasn't around when she arrived at the firm this morning.

 Lora wasn't around when she arrived at the firm this morning

○ ○ ○

The restaurant is jam-packed when she reached the place. Live band sings classic music and set the atmosphere into relaxing one. She roams her eyes and found Lora waving hand at her. Lea paced the floor with lifted brow darted at her best friend.

"Leaaaa girrrl!" she pulls Lea for a tight hug.

"You're not around" she patted her on the back. "Where have you been? Pasalamat ka at di ko pa alam kung san ang office mo"

"Ito naman! Sorry na nga diba? It was a case related thing. So, how was your first day?"

"Fine" rolling her eyes.

"Fine? Yun lang? Mmmm. Lemme guess, a gwapo lawyer approached you kanina noh?"

She simpered, "Who?"

"Sus! Atty. Cruz, since the day he heard about you, he can't wait to meet you in person. So tama ba ako? He approached you?"

"Oh. Yeah, I remember him. Well, nakipagkwentuhan lang naman siya kanina. That's it."

Foods are served in a nice plating. Instagramable in millenial term, but she's not into trending stuff. She digs in while Lora took time to take a shot of her plate. The elevator scene dredged up to her mind. It throws her into curiosity.

"Oo nga pala. Ummm, kanina kase may nakasabay akong lalaki eh. I assumed he is also a lawyer, I just don't know what field he's into. He's wearing glasses"

"Girl, most of us wear glasses", Lora grins.

"He has cute dimples", she imbibes.

"Owemge! It's Atty. Aga Martinez, the same field din kayo. Teka, bakit? Mmmm...what happened in THE elevator?"

She sneers, "Dafuq! Nothing happened, ayoko lang ng tono nya. Mayabang. Akala mo kung sino. They teased me this morning to this Atty. Aga. He was not yet around so hindi ko alam ang itsura niya. But .... he's cute, seryoso nga lang masyado"

She chuckles at Lea, "He's really a serious type of man. Gwapo sana yun eh, maraming nagkakagusto don kaso nga lang bugnotin. By the way, he's the owner's only son"

"Is that so?" she long sips her champagne as the conversation gets interesting.

"Hoy ikaw ha. Sigurado ka ba talaga sa binabalak mo?"

"Of course! I flew from the other side of the world to here noh, then you're asking me if I'm sure of this? Ano ka ba"

"Okay. Fine. Easy. Pero dzai! Mag iingat ka ha"

"I'm not afraid of their family. I have all the connections I need so watch me crashing them into pieces"

"Hindi naman yan yung ibig kong sabihin eh. Mag iingat ka don sa Aga na yun. Lei, let me remind you in advance he has every detail that you're looking for in a man. Believe me! He's your type of man" her brows wiggled, teasing Lea.

"So, what are you saying? That I might fall for him? Nyeta! Hindi ako pumunta dito noh para lumandi lang atsaka he's not my type. Kahit hindi ko pa siya lubusang kilala, alam ko and I can feel it he's not MY type"

"Don't tell me I didn't warn you", she gnawed her food.

"Well, thanks for the warning but no thanks. I'm not here for him. He's not part of my plan"

"Alam mo ... ba't di mo na lang kalimutan yang paghihiganti mo. Lei, nakamove on na nga yung mommy mo eh tapos ikaw? Tsk! Tumatanda na tayo, maghanap ka na lang ng aasawahin"

Lea paused and her eyes bore into her, "Tingnan mo to! Loko ka din minsan eh noh? Ang tagal ko tong pinaghandaan then you're telling me na kalimutan ko na lang. I'm here now. I started my first day there tapos aatras pa ako? Giving up is not in my vocabulary and you knew that"

"Yes. I knew pero ... haaay! Bahala ka. Basta nandito lang ako kung maging kayo .... este! Kung kailangan mo ko"

Lei rolled her eyes for the nth time today, "can you please stop it? Kotang kota na 'ko sa Aga na yan ha"

"Wala naman akong sinabing Aga ha"

"Ay ewan!"

Lora just laughed at her, she really likes teasing Lea. She missed her a lot since Lea lived in the US for many years. They seldom see each other only if she's given a chance to visit her in the US. She knew Lea from the tip of her hair to her toe. They're like sisters but not by blood. Lea is always there for her and so as she. She tells everything to her specially her plans. She tried to stop her and to convince her to just move on and let karma works but she's persistent. Well, Lea is Lea. No one can stop her. She's full of anger due to her father's death. She wants justice for her father. All that she can give to Lea now is her support though it makes her anxious.