Chapter X

She arrived at her unit and took off her heels. It's a long day for her. After taking a cold shower, she grabbed an oversized shirt and silky shorts. She's ready to spend her night playing Assassin's Creed.

Enjoying her me time, her phone vibrates.

She glanced at it while holding a game control.

Atty. Raven
Hi Atty. Lei, are you free tonight? How about dinner?

She rolled her eyes and placed the game control beside her.

"Isa din tong istorbo eh"

Reply:
Hey. I'm not free tonight. Sorry. Maybe next time?

Atty. Raven
How about at your place?

Reply:
Attorney, I had a long day. Sorry. Just ask me again next time. Good night.

He didn't response.

Meanwhile, Aga is finishing up a pile of case related documents. He took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. It's ten in the evening and he's still up. He's leaning on his swivel chair while looking up on the ceiling and thinking about random things. He turned his swivel chair to face the window.

It's a calm night and the stars are blooming at the sky. He's in that position when someone crossed his mind and their conversation flashed back to his mind as well.

Now, he can't get her off his mind.

Her face

... voice

... smile

... laugh

... scent

... wit

Everything about her bemused him. He wants to know her more. He wants to know every little thing about her.

He woke up the next morning like an elementary kid excited to see his crush.

Lea just arrived at the firm. She's looking for her mobile phone in her bag while heading to the elevator. She stepped in and pressed F-4. It's about to close when someone came in.

"Good morning" he smiled.

"Good morning att...uhm, Aga" she smiled at him too.

"Let me guess, you did not eat breakfast?" he smirked.

"How did you know? Yes, I woke up late kase"

"You always arrive fifteen minutes before time but you're almost late today" he's leaning the wall with crossed arms.

"Dude, you're good at observing people"

He chuckled.

"So...may hearing ka ngayon?" he asked.

"Wala naman. Sa Monday meron."

"Mmm....baka free ka tomorrow tutal it's Saturday"

"For?"

They're both heading to their offices as they continue talking.

"We visit once in a month those charities that our firm is helping. It's our firm's tradition. Tomorrow, we'll visit the nearby charity. Lora is an active volunteer there so for sure she'll come with us. Pwede ka ba?"

"I can't promise but I'll try"

"Okay but I hope you'll join us"

She just smiled. "I'll go ahead", she entered her office. She placed her bag on the table when her mobile phone vibrates. She checks who it is.

It's her private investigator.

Albert Mendoza
Good morning attorney. I emailed you the files about their accounts. Please check it.

Reply:
Thank you.

She hired an investigator to know their financial status. The firm's good reputation is difficult for her to ruin it. It received recognitions for the passed years so she needs to find other loophole to use at her advantage.

She opens her email.

The financial statements attached are only for external users. Corporate law is not her field but she knew that only limited financial informations can be provided by a company and these must adhere to the country's jurisdiction.

Their five-year Statements of Financial Position show that they've been experiencing asset deficiency. They should have filed for bankruptcy years ago as they were not able to cope with financial distress.

Are they paying tax at right amount?

Their five-year Statements of Financial Performance show that they're gaining little to no income. Behind their good reputation is a firm experiencing financial problems. Based on her observation, they are probably striving for the passed years to cope with these financial issues but due to lack of expertise in a field of business and accounting it is dragging them down slowly. They are concern of business expansion rather than facing their financial problems.

She plotted her additional plan.

She started her day reviewing new case.

**her mobile phone vibrates**

Atty. Raven
Hi. Lunch? Later? Sana naman you won't decline this time 🙃

"Tsk. Ang kulit nito" she facepalmed. She stared at his message for few seconds to think if she'll accept his invite or decline again for the nth time.

Reply:
Sure

Atty. Raven
See you later! ❤️

"Oh God! Ang daming makukulit na lawyers dito" she strokes her chin and continue reviewing a case.

A knock from the door distracted her again. She rolled her eyes.

"Come in"

It's her secretary this time with a cup of coffee and a mini bag of foods.

"Good morning attorney" she walks toward Lea while smiling.

"Alina, this is too much. You apologized already"

Her secretary placed the foods and coffee on her table without saying anything. She just smiled.

"I ca...." she noticed the name written on the cup of coffee.

Babes

Her forehead creased.

"Babes? Sigurado kang sakin to?"

"Yes, attorney. These aren't from me. Kay Atty. Martinez po" she smiled from ear to ear before leaving.

She takes the foods out from the mini bag. Bacon & Gouda breakfast sandwich, Slow-Roasted Ham, Swiss & Egg breakfast sandwich and ham & cheese croissant - all breakfast goodies plus a Caramel Macchiato.

She gave one sandwich to her secretary.

"Uhm, Alina. Next time refrain from accepting anything without my permission specially if it is not work related"

"Noted attorney"

She doesn't want to establish any relationship with him other than being his colleague. Everything must be under her control because she knew this is risky. Few months from now, she will see her father's murderer slowly crashing down.

No one should be a hindrance to her plans

especially him.