Chapter XI

"Do you like him?"

Raven brought her to a swank beanery. With song in warble tone and luscious foods amalgamate, she could've took pleasure in snarfing but Raven catechized her about Aga.

"Attorney, is this your point of asking me out for lunch? To ask me if I have feelings for Atty. Martinez?", roaring tension is evident on her countenance. Raven acts as though a jealous husband.

"No. Sorry. I ... I heard about your quarrel with him yesterday. I was just ...."

"Let me make this straight to you. I don't like wasting my time for small talks as this. I am not here for a fairytale and love is a lame feeling. Drop the subject or I'll leave. Choose." she lifts her brow up.

"S-sorry. Sorry. I apologise. Let's ... let's talk about other matters instead. Uhm....so, how ... are you?"

"I'm fine. I like my office as well as my secretary. Everything is just fine. How about you? How's it goin'?", she tamps down frustration.

"Uhm .... I'm fine ... I guess", he feels awkward. He realized that she's not a common type of woman. Of all women he fell for, she is different.

"You're a good lawyer as what others said. Don't you consider working on other firm?"

"Last year I planned transferring to other firm outside the country"

"Oh? So? What happened?"

"I changed my mind for personal reasons"

"But the firm has a good reputation, changing your mind isn't bad at all. I heard from Lora that it expanded to other cities"

"Well, kahit naman hindi tayo corporate lawyers, we both know that in a field of business it's not always perfect. Behind every good reputation has countless flaws"

And here we go

"You're right but I don't see any flaws in their firm"

"Not all flaws are visible to the eye" he gave her a serious look.

"Enlighten me"

"You seem interested attorney" he smirked.

You're trying to read me. Give your best shot dude

"Yes, I am. Of course, I don't work in a firm without knowledge about it" she smiled.

"Right. So, why did you apply without further knowledge of that firm?"

"As what you've said 'not all flaws are visible to the eye' . Google does not give nonvisible informations"

Man, don't try me. You might regret it.

"Yeah, you're right. It's like credentials, they don't provide personal intentions of an applicant"

His words hit her. She tried to compose herself.

"Personal intentions? Why would credentials include personal intentions?" her forehead creased.

"That's the point. We were both applicants before we got accepted by that firm. During my interview, I was asked why I chose their firm. Of course, as a fresh bar passer I answered them that experience is the best teacher and I want their firm to teach me useful experience to make me a good lawyer"

"That sounds cliché"

He chuckled, "I know right but my personal intention is to earn a lot right away. They have good benefits and during that time I was living on my own. My parents are in Europe, nakakahiya naman kung magpapagastos pa ako sa kanila. How about you? What is your personal intention in working here? You seem to have a good life in States. It's US and you are a lawyer. I wonder how much you earn" he smiled.