Ghosted Pt 3

I looked behind me, hearing another heartbeat, to see that little blonde boy standing in the doorway of the hall staring at us. "Scott." I pulled gently on Scott's sleeve, and he looked at the boy.

"Come with me," the boy, who I assumed was Caleb, said in a distorted voice. He turned and walked down the hall, his hands folded behind his back.

I shook my head. "Mm-mm. No way. Not happening."

"We have to," Scott said.

"Why?"

"Maybe he can help us get out."

"No." I thought back to the feeling I'd gotten earlier. "No, did you hear what Lenore said? She said he wanted to play. Logan said that exact same thing in my vision and something weird happened. Like I actually leaving this world behind to play with him. I think he was trying to warn me."

Scott pursed his lips, shaking his head. "We have to try."

"Sco-! Argh!" I groaned as he followed Caleb, but I went as well, against my better judgement, Malia by my side. Lydia stayed behind with Lenore, hoping to coax her into helping us. I hoped it would work, but admittedly, my doubts were high.

Scott pushed open the only closed door in the hallway, and Caleb was waiting inside, his hands still behind his back. He stood at the other end of the room watching us. The room was weird. The TV behind Caleb was stuck on a static channel. It was uncharacteristically dark compared to the rest of the house. The only windows in the room were thin ones near the ceiling on every wall.

There was a circular table in the left corner with two chairs. It looked like there was a train set on it. On the wall next to it were 11 pictures drawn in crayon. The floor had some toys on it, and there was no bed in the room. The weirdest part was that the floors looked almost mirror-like. They were very dark but shined so brightly that I could see a black reflection of everything in it. Almost like a parallel universe existed just under this one. I really hoped parallel me had been smart enough not to come into this room.

As I descended the three steps into the room, I realized the reason the floor was reflective was because there was 3 inches of water on it. And the floor wasn't actually a floor, but more like a tough mud consistency. My shoes and socks were instantly soaked. Good thing I hadn't worn my nice ones, I guess.

Scott went to the wall on the left, standing on his tiptoes to reach the latch on the window. That, too, remained stuck. He looked back at me like he should've listened, but it was too late for that now. He should really work on the whole listening to reason thing because his track record hasn't been too great.

"Caleb," Scott said. "Can you help us find a way out of here?" Caleb took a few steps back before turning to fiddle with his TV. He popped in a VHS tape, and I shrugged at the confused look Malia sent me.

The TV fizzed then played a video. The date in the corner was August 12, 1985. Caleb looked to be just a few years younger than he was now—which was also impossible—and he was running around the yard with a large smile on his face. He blew some bubbles into the camera without a care in the world.

"You have to stay because Mommy said so," he finally said, his eyes fixed on the screen.

"No, we can't stay. We have to go home," Scott said.

"You understand right? We have our own mommies that we have to listen to," I cooed.

In Lenore's voice, Caleb said, "This is home." Suddenly, his door slammed shut as effortlessly as the front door had. I didn't know what creature we were dealing with here, but I knew it wasn't any human.