Chapter 24

I walked into my art class and slid into the desk in front of Jasmine. "Congrats on your win."

"Thanks."

"Did the boys win too?" she asked.

I shrugged. "Me and Billie left before the boys played."

She raised her eyebrows, her mouth forming an 'o'. "You and Billie, huh? Where'd you go?"

I told her about everything that happened after the game and she shook her head. "I find that—"

Ms. Thompson shushed us. Jasmine waited for her to turn back around to continue talking. "I find that very hard to believe from what you've told me about Billie. She doesn't seem like the type to go on grossly cheesy dates—let alone, plan one."

"I know. I was really surprised, but she did." I pulled out my phone and showed her a picture of Billie, sticking her tongue out at the camera as she was laying down on the blanket she brought. I had to promise not to post it since it was apparently embarrassing. I thought it was cute as hell though.

"Wait. What the fuck, dude." Jasmine looked at me like I just gave her a million dollars. "You never told me that the Billie you're dating is Billie Eilish," she whisper yelled.

"I didn't think about it. Sometimes I just forget." When I looked at her, I didn't see Billie Eilish. I just saw Billie. A goofy-ass bozo who kept me up until three in the fucking morning, laughing until it hurt. "But you can't say anything to anyone about it. Nobody else can know. If it gets out that she's gay, it'll cause a lot of trouble for her."

"No, I swear I won't tell anybody. I wouldn't do that."

"Especially not Olivia," I said, seriously. "You have to promise me that you won't tell her that I'm dating Billie."

"I promise, but I thought you guys were like best friends." She tilted her head in confusion.

"We were, but you were right. She is a fake ass bitch."

"Mm." Jasmine sighed. "See, I knew that hoe was plastic. Fake. Made in China."

I patted her shoulder. "Calm down, killer."

-

"Good news, guys," I said, sarcastically while clapping my hands together. "We're doing conditioning today, so you need tennis shoes instead of your cleats." Everybody groaned and I went to my locker.

"Can't wait to be sore for a week." Kempley smiled. "Who suggested this?" I grinned as I changed into shorts and a T-shirt. She gasped. "It was you, wasn't it?"

"Yep." I tied my shoes. She furrowed her eyebrows and threw her head back. "Hear me out..." I raised my hands in surrender and she looked at me expectantly. I pursed my lips and threw my hands up in the air. "Yeah, I got nothing."

"You can't tell me you enjoy conditioning."

"It's nice." I shrugged. "It's a challenge. Plus, Coach Jones and Coach Pennington are both out today, so I had to find something for us to do."

She shook her head. "You're a lunatic."

We walked down to the field and I put some cones down. "Alright, we've done this enough times that I don't think it needs much explanation. This is the first one we're doing." I stood on one foot and crossed the other behind it, squatting down and jumping as far forward as I could. I landed on the opposite foot. "Three sets of these. Keep your back straight. It helps if you don't look at your feet."

-

I walked inside my house and started walking upstairs when I heard my mom yell, "she just needs to be kept away from that girl and we can correct her behavior!"

"But that's not fair," my dad said. "If you really want to follow through with what you've been talking about, then at least let her see her friends while she can. Just unground her." What did she plan on doing that would make it where I couldn't see my friends anymore. Was she finally sending me to conversion therapy like she was talking about?

"Okay, whatever. I'll unground her."

I went upstairs as quickly and quietly as I could so that they didn't know I was eavesdropping. I threw my backpack off and sat on the bed. A couple of minutes later, my mom walked in with my phone in her hand. "You're ungrounded." She threw my phone to me and it hit my forehead.

"Ow! Fuck."

"The first time I have to get on to you for something, you're grounded again," she warned.

I nodded. "Does this mean I can go places now?"

She sighed. "Yep, but you have to be back by ten and you can only stay places on weekends."

"Okay." She started walking away, but stopped and turned around, looking at me like I was crazy. "Sorry. I meant yes ma'am." She walked away, mumbling something I couldn't understand. I turned my phone on before rummaging through my nightstand to find the slip of paper that Billie wrote her number on. I put it back into my contacts and texted her.

me: guess who's ungrounded

billiam: fuck yeah
billiam: does that mean you can come over

me: yeah i'll walk

billiam: i don't even know why you try that anymore

I rolled my eyes but smiled, running down the stairs. I jogged into the kitchen, where my dad was sitting. Thankfully, my mom wasn't in there. I didn't feel like dealing with her attitude. "Can I go to Billie's house?"

"Sure." I figured he wouldn't care. It was more like me letting him know that I was leaving rather than asking. Billie stopped by the curb and I got in her car.

"I really don't understand why you don't just let me walk, Billie."

She put her hand on my thigh and my stomach erupted in butterflies. "I really don't understand why you don't just let me drive, Mackenzie."

I looked over at her and laughed, shaking my head. "You're such a fucking bozo."

"Whatever," she replied, a smirk tugging at her lips.

She pulled up into the driveway and we went up to her room. Billie threw herself on the bed. "Wanna watch The Office?"

"Yeah." I slipped my shoes off and laid on the bed next to Billie. She turned The Office on and wrapped her arms around my waist, kissing below my ear. I intertwined my fingers in hers and we watched a couple of episodes before Billie started getting restless. She pressed a kiss to my shoulder and then neck, pulling me closer to her. Her fingers played with the waistband of my sweatpants and her tongue swiped across my neck, my breath catching in my throat.

"Billie," I said breathily. I felt her smile against my neck. She moved back to my mouth, her warm tongue sliding across mine. She traced her hand down my thigh and then up my stomach, fiddling with the bottom of my bra before sliding her hand under it.