Chapter 28

I rubbed my eyes and looked around after waking up to the sound of my dog barking. Maybe my parents were home early. The sound of the garage door opening encouraged the dog to bark more. We didn't use the garage for cars because it had a bunch of junk in it, so I didn't know why anybody was trying to use the garage door. I looked over at Matt's bed to see if he was there. He wasn't.

I sighed and walked down the stairs. Matt was twisting the doorknob and banging on the garage door, trying to get in. His hair was a mess and he had bags under his eyes. I unlocked it and he opened it. "What the fuck are you doing?"

He stumbled in and grabbed hold of me to keep his balance. "What?"

I looked at his hand. It was covered in blood. "Ew! What happened to your hand?"

"Oh!" A look of remembrance came over his face. "Shit!" He staggered into the kitchen, searching the drawers.

"You're getting blood on everything. Stop!"

He grabbed a knife. "He's out there, Mackenzie!"

"Who?"

"He wants to fight me and he has a knife."

I looked out of the window and my went go wide. There was somebody out there. "Get out! Go! Why would you lead him to our house, you dumb fuck—I'm calling the police!"

"No! No! You can not do that." He snatched my phone and set it on the counter. "It'll be fine. Do you know where a gun is?"

I grabbed my phone and stepped away from him. "No!" He told me not to call the police, but it seemed like the right choice. Wait, but Matt had a knife and was looking for a gun. There was one in my dad's room, but obviously I wasn't gonna tell him that. I could call Billie, but I don't want to put her in danger. She did tell me to call her if anything like this ever happened.

A rock flew through the window. "Come out here, you pussy," the man yelled. I ran upstairs and Matt runs down the hallway. God, I hoped he wasn't looking for a gun. I decided to text Billie and ask her if she was awake.

me: are you awake

billiam: yeah, what's up

Maybe I shouldn't have involved her. I decided not to tell her.

me: just wondering

I got an incoming call from Billie. I answered it and peeked down the stairs. Mathew was nowhere to be seen and the dude was still shouting profanities and threats through the broken window. "Hey."

"Hey, baby," she said. "Are you having trouble sleeping?"

Another rock flew through the window and Matt yelled. "Shit!"

I pursed my lips, hoping she didn't hear that. "Something like that..." I stifled a laugh.

"What the fuck is going on?"

"Matt just got home and he's fucked up on something. His hand is bleeding really bad and I don't know why, and somebody is throwing rocks through our window." I looked around for a minute before continuing. "Matt's walking around with a knife, looking for a gun, but at his current state, I doubt he'll be able to find one. He told me not to call the police and I'm a little scared of him right now so I didn't."

"I'm coming over there," she said quickly before I heard a car door shut.

"Billie, that's not a good—" I was cut off when she hung up. "Damnit, Billie!" I stuffed my phone into my back pocket and ran down the stairs. A couple minutes later, Billie's car pulled up, and—to my surprise—the dude in our front yard ran away. Billie got out of the car, looking in the direction of where the dude ran.