Chapter 49

"Wow," I say. "Tour is going by so fast. We only have a few more stops."

"Yeah, this was a short one for sure," Billie agrees as we walk towards Finneas and Claudia's hotel room. Billie uses a card to open the door. It's currently 12:03 in the morning. Both of them are asleep.

"Wow. They suck." I laugh.

"Yeah. Why are they already asleep?" Billie jumps on the bed. "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!"

"What the hell," Claudia says, sitting up. Finneas looks around, confusedly.

"Okay, now that you're up, happy birthday, Finneas," Billie shouts, excitedly as she plops down.

"I hate you." He groans.

"Happy birthday, Finneas," I say.

He smiles. "Thank you, Mackenzie. Billie, that's how you should've done it, you hooligan." He hits her with a pillow and she laughs.

"But that was boring, dude," Billie complains. "There wouldn't even be a point in coming in here for that."

"Speaking of, can you please leave? I'm trying to sleep."

"Yeah, we're leaving. You guys are hella boring." She shakes her head. "I can't believe y'all are already sleeping."

We walk out of their room and back to ours. "Well, that was uneventful," she says, falling backwards into the bed.

"Right." I fall backwards beside her. "I'm gonna go take a shower." I stand up and grab one of Billie's shirts before going into the bathroom.

"Ooh, I wanna come," she says. And I can hear her smirk.

I think for a minute before sighing and opening the door. "Okay, c'mon."

"Wait, really," she asks, excitedly as she hops up and comes into the bathroom. "I was underprepared. I've never made it this far."

"I know, so shut up and kiss me."

-

I grab a piece of cake and sneak up behind Finneas, smashing the cake in his face. "Happy birthday, Fin!"

"I guess I was wrong. You're both hooligans!" He grabs his piece of cake and smashes it in my face.

"Finneas!" I wipe the icing off of my eye with my hand. "You're just rude."

He gasps. "You did it to me first!"

"Yeah," I say in a duh tone. "It's your birthday."

"So?"

I sigh and walk away, looking for a napkin. "Haha," Billie taunts as she walks up to me.

I stick my tongue out at her and flip her off. "Fuck you too, Bil. It was your idea."

"Yep. And this is why I didn't do it myself." She grabs a napkin and wipes the icing off of my face.

She stares at me for a minute, smiling. "What are you staring at?" I giggle, my shoulders tensing up a little. "Do I have something on my face?"

She bites her lip and shakes her head, putting a hand on my cheek. "No. You're just so fucking pretty." She places her lips on mine and they move slowly against mine. I finally pull away and she wraps her arms around me.

-

I stand outside of the door when I hear Finneas talking. "You know, I'm really, really proud of you, Billie. I mean, it seems like not that long ago, you were falling apart—no offense—and now you're—you're always happy. You've just come so far."

"Yeah... I know. It's Mackenzie, dude. It sounds stupid and cringey I guess, but she just turned my whole fucking world around. Everything's different now, but in the best way possible, you know?" She pauses for a second. "And it's—it's crazy, dude. Like, she doesn't even know. I love her so much. I've never felt like this about anybody before. It's scary... I'm scared, Finneas."

"Of what," Claudia presses.

She laughs skeptically. "What do you mean? I'm scared of getting hurt. What if I do something wrong? I always do." Her voice cracks and I can hear her take in a shaky breath.

I wait a minute and then knock on the door before opening it. Billie raises her shoulders and looks down, hiding her face. Acting like I wasn't eavesdropping, I sit down beside Billie and wrap my arms around her. "What's wrong?"

She sniffs and then laughs, hugging me. "Nothing. Don't worry about it. You guys wanna go get something to eat?"