Chapter 38

I made sure that I didn't look completely crazy in my phone camera and frowned. I had some random bruises, a faint black eye, and a busted lip. I should've put on makeup. People at school became merciless after Olivia started spreading so many rumors about me, and I refused to tell Tayler. I couldn't have her fighting a bunch of people. On top of that, Matt had been really pissed about our mom leaving and had been taking his anger out on me. He was basically back to his old self.

I knocked on Billie's door and anxiously waited for her to open it. We hadn't really talked much since the airport. Finneas opened the door and brought me into a hug. "Oh, my gosh. Are you okay?" His eyes scanned my face.

I shook my head. "I'm fine. Is... is Billie here?"

"Actually, she's at an interview, but she should be back any minute now. You can hang out with me and Claudia until then if you want."

I nodded. "Yeah, sure." I followed him into the living room and Claudia jumped up to give me a hug.

"Mackenzie," she said, excitedly. "I've missed you."

I laughed and hugged her back. "I've missed you too."

I sat down on the couch. "Is everything going okay with Billie? Did she get in trouble for what happened at the airport?"

Finneas smiled and shook his head. "They were pissed at first, but then she got tons of new followers from it. The pictures and videos went viral. It's crazy. She's gained tons of new fans. Plus, a lot of people are very intrigued because nobody could see who you were, so everybody's eager to figure out who it was."

I let out a sigh of relief. "That's good."

"Yeah," he agreed. "I was honestly very surprised. It wasn't what I was expecting."

"Me either," Claudia said. We stayed quiet for a minute before Claudia spoke up again. "How are things at home now?"

"It's been fine. My brother and I don't have to share a room anymore. My dad's been really upset about the whole thing but..." I shrugged. "He'll have to get over it. It needed to be done." I bounced my knee, nervous as to what Billie's reaction to me being there was going to be. I didn't know if she still wanted to get back together.

They both nodded. "Are you okay, Mackenzie?" Finneas asked.

  "Yeah. I'm fine." I chewed on my lip and looked at the floor.

The sound of the front door opening and a familiar voice carrying into the living room broke my train of thought. "What's up, bitches? I'm home." My heart skipped a beat when I heard her voice.

"Mackenzie." She looked surprised and then she smiled. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. I honestly didn't know how she was going to react to me being here. I ran over and wrapped my arms around her, her familiar vanilla scent surrounding me. She put one hand on the back of my head and the other on the small of my back, pulling me into her. "Let's go upstairs and we can talk."

"Okay." She let go of me and I followed her up to her room. I furrowed my eyebrows as I looked around. It was extremely messy. It was always a little dirty, but it was wrecked this time. "What happened to your room?"

"Oh." She laughed, nervously scratching the back of her neck. "I was a little angry."

  I mouthed an O before nodding. "Yeah, I get it. I kinda snapped on Monday and told Olivia that I hoped she choked on all the shit she talked, and she's been spreading a bunch of rumors about me and telling people my entire life story. People have been merciless and have not hesitated to show me that they don't like me."

"Did you get in a fight or something? You're face looks... terrible." Her eyes went wide and then she squeezed them shut as she held her hands out in front of her. "That's not what I mean. You look beautiful as always, but you just have a bunch of bruises and stuff."

"Like I said, people at school have been merciless and Matt's pissed that our mom left."

She sat down on her bed and put her head in her hands. "I'm so sorry. This is my fault. I made her leave."

"Billie, it's not your fault. You helped me. I am so glad that she's gone. It's just gonna be a little rough for a minute." I sat down beside her. "So... where do we stand right now?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, are we friends? Do you hate me? Do you want me to leave? Like—"

She looked over at me, biting her lip. "Mackenzie, I love you and I want to be with you," she said quickly. "I'm a mess without you." She looked around. "And so is my room. I don't have a reason to keep it semi-clean anymore and you only broke up with me because of your mom, right?"

"Of course, Billie. You mean the world to me. My entire life went to shit without you keeping me in check. I didn't even have soccer practice to get my anger out." I shook my head, laughing.

"Why didn't you have soccer practice?" she asked, confusedly.

"I may have a few anger problems."

She looked at me expectantly. "Mm-hm. Go on..."

I threw my head back. "I kept hurting people, so my coaches started sending me to the guidance counselor during soccer practice."

"Mackenzie!" She chuckled.

"I'm sorry." I raised my eyebrows and threw my hands up, shrugging. "I was frustrated."

She stared at me for a minute before glancing down at my lips. "Does this mean we can get back together?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

Her lips smashed into mine as she pushed me backwards on the bed. I missed her so much.