Chapter Thirty Six

CASPAR POV
"You've got to be joking me!" I say aloud by accident when I see who she's with. Luckily, neither of them hear.
"Hi, Caspar, I haven't seen you in so long!" He says, sitting down across from me.
"Yeah, hi Jack." I force a smile as Lillie takes her place next to him. Trust her to find someone like Jack Harries.
"Wait, you know each other?" She asks.
"Yeah, I've known Caspar ages." Jack laughs.
"How did you two meet, then?" I ask, hoping they'll go into a romantic story so I can quickly text Joe without them noticing.
"Well, I was at a conference about three weeks ago, since I hit two million on my music channel, and Jack was there, just sat in the corner. So we got chatting and, yeah."
"Sounds alright," I mutter. "What do you want to order?" I try to change the subject.
"So, how's your love life at the minute, Caspar?" Jack asks when I come back with the drinks.
"Well, I, uh-" I stop myself mid-sentence. I know what to do... "Yeah, there's this girl, Jay, she's pretty cool."
"Wait, yesterday you said you weren't with anybody..." Lillie replies, confused.
"Yeah, I didn't want to disappoint you." I say. Jack doesn't hear, but Lillie makes a small grunting noise as if to say yeah, right.
"So have you met Lillie's sister?" I ask Jack.
"Yeah, Charly and I get on well." Jack throws me a smile but I don't return it.
"Ha, she didn't like me much." I say quietly.
"No, she didn't." Lillie hears and laughs, and so do I. The previous awkwardness between us starts to fade.
"Wait, wait, wait," Jack narrows his eyes, looking between Lillie and I. "You two used to...live together, didn't you?"
"Yeah..." I trail off, looking at Lillie sideways. "Did you not tell him?"
"Must've forgotten to mention it," She smiles weakly at us, and then puts her hand on Jack's arm. "We better get going, we'll be late for dinner with your family."
"Yeah, see you soon, Caspar." He says, standing up.
"See you." I say.
"I'd like to meet this Jay soon, maybe?" Lillie asks as she picks up her bag.
"I'll let you know, bye." I say as they leave the shop, and then I call Joe.
"Hey, Caspar, what's up?" He asks.
"Quite a lot, actually!"
"Listen, I'm at Eva's parents' house, what's wrong?"
"Did you know about Lillie and Jack?!"
"Oh God. I'm sorry. I forgot to tell you..."
"Alright, alright, but I need your help. I pretended that I was officially with that girl from Friday night and now Lillie wants to meet her!"
"Caspar! Okay, come over tomorrow and we'll sort something out. I've got to go."
"Thanks Joe, see you tomorrow."
"See you, Caspar. Bye."