Part Seven

May 6th, 2015 

"Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire. And that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace. And that's not gonna happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done. We find out what Ultron's been building, we find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters. That we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right." Captain America addressed his fellow Avengers as they flew for Sokovia. 

(Y/n) sat at the back of the jet, thinking about the battle ahead. All he could think was how wrong this could all go. With half an hour before arrival, (Y/n) simply sat in silence, his mind wandered off until a blonde man sat beside him. 

"You okay, kid?" Steve asked politely.

"Y-Yeah, Captain. I, uh... haven't been myself lately," he answered timidly.

"Wanna talk about it?" 

(Y/n) ignored his kind gesture to a different topic altogether. 

"Got a funny story. Care to listen?" (Y/n) offered. 

Steve smiled and gestured him to do so. 

"So, this guy worked on train traffic. The signal man. It was an examination. He agrees. 'So here's your first question; suppose you're in your signal box and two trains are heading towards each other in the same lane, what do you do?' He says, 'I dash over to my emergency lever, pull it straight back, diverting the signals.' Other bloke says, 'But what if you get there and find that it's completely jammed, immovable?' 'Oh, in that case, I would rush out the signal box, dash along the line to the manually operated points and daftly pull back the manual operating point.' 'What if the manually operating point has been struck by lightning and it was totally immovable?!' 'In that case, I would dash back to my signal box. Up there, push the electronically operated button that would put all the signals to Emergency On position.' 'What if the signal box was on fire?!' 'Well, in that case, I would dash down the road and get my uncle, Alistair.' He said, 'Why?!' 'Because he's never seen a train crash!' " 

Pretty much everybody broke into laughter at the punchline. The moment was interrupted when Clint notified everyone that they were coming towards Sokovia. Everyone was given a duty to uphold: evacuate the citizens of Sokovia. Wanda and (Y/n) were grouped together to use their magic powers to persuade the citizens to leave while everyone else made sure every house and building was cleared except Bruce and Thor, who would search for Natasha. 

Something flying around drew (Y/n)'s attention to the multiple robots soaring through Sokovia, firing at the people which drew everyone into a massive panic. As the heroes spent half the time fighting off the Ultron clones and the other defending the people, things began to take a turn for the worse when the city began to fly. No matter how many robots (Y/n) slayed, it had no desired effect as every one he killed was replaced by four more. 

"They just don't stop coming!" (Y/n) shouted at his friends. 

Nobody replied to him as they were all grunting and shouting at every punch given and received, or faint whimpers from Wanda through their comms. 

"Do you see the beauty of it? You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword and the Earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers; turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal." Ultron rambled as Clint fired an arrow at an Ultron clone which was replaced by another.