Aces

Hyun Bin POV

The trials went rough for us. It has been going on for almost two weeks. Jihoon was pessimistic as the judge seemed to favor Airfox. Strangely Airfox didn't bring up other suspects, clearly, they were after Yejin, or me.

"Bin. Get me something, anything, we're likely going to lose. She is facing 5 years of jail time." Jihoon asked me during the trial break.

The detention center treated her well, but my Yejin looked thinner and sad, yet she tried to hide it every time I visited her. She stayed calm and all she did was only biting her lips when she was nervous. That delicate lips of hers were swollen red from too much biting. I really wanted to kiss her but the circumstances didn't allow us. To be able to hold her hand was the most intense touch I can treasure for the last two weeks.

"Time to put down your card, Bin," Jisub suggested to me.

"There must be something else we can do, boss."

"What else? We even have threatened Airfox's lawyers to launch the second story but look, they still stand strong against Yejin. They can't go after you, but they're after Yejin, and that's hurt you the most. I think this lawsuit is intended to hurt you personally, Bin. Not Time, not Yejin, but you."

"Fuck." I scratched my head in frustration.

"You really love her, don't you?"

"I do. I told you I love her for real. You're right I was hesitant at first but now I have never been this sure. I'm going to reveal the real me once Airfox dropped the charge. I have torn that stupid agreement about premarital assets. I gave her my heart, why wouldn't I share material things? Let alone if...if she was pregnant...someday she might carry my child. She has been a devoted wife in our short time together."

"You barely do other things but been using your resources to dig deeper dirt from Airfox, trying to bribe witnesses, we even have offered to settle with monetary charges but it's been 2 weeks. The spousal privilege isn't enough here. I know I should be your number one supporter here but even myself can't bear seeing Yejin like that for more days, let alone five years. I'm sorry, Kid. We don't bet wife over money. Please consider it."

"You're right. I'm going to find her. I'm going now. Please tell Yejin I am sorry for leaving earlier."

"Miss Haerim is ready to meet you, Sir." the housemaid led me to a gazebo by a fish pond at the back yard of the house.

"It's been a long time, Bin. Like how long? Ten? Twelve years? How are you?" Haerim blew the smoke of her cigar out of her lips and handed me a zippo.

"Twelve?" I lit my cigar and inhaled.

"What brings you here? You're not defeated yet."

"I want to make this quick. I know you're behind this. Drop the charge."

"Took this long for you to find out?"

"I know you threat that young girl to leak her name."

"Poor girl. But I see you have the better card on her. But I am the one who's holding three aces here. Give me yours, and I'll drop your queen."

"How much?"

"How much does she worth you? Look at the idealist Hyun Bin over here." Haerim took a deep inhale and continued,

"An investigative journalist by day busy uncovering dirt, pretend to not aware that he was a major disaster. A casanova by night but all of a sudden tied the knot with a girl from the abstinence club after the 3rd date. Trying to win his wife the right way for the last two weeks even though he already knew I am his only way out."