Chapter 3 : Bad times are coming

-Oliver POV-

Oliver : Come boys. Keep looking we'll find it eventually. Hopefully it's still alive.

We saw the fox late in night after our encounter with that lone hunter. It took out three of my men while we slept only to wake up form the third one's screams. It was chaos. Men running around with crossbows and guns screaming 'It's here'. But I could only see glimpses of it. I think it was about to attack another one of my men when Charles, our expert tracker, shot it with his crossbow. It screamed in pain and run off into the dark and of course we followed. Only leaving my two sons to look after the camp. Now we're still following the trail.

Charles : Hey boss! We got a problem.

Oliver : What is it?

Charles is about 15-20 meters ahead so walked up to him wondering what the problem. Getting close to him said.

Charles : We got more tracks.

Oliver : Where did they come from?

Charles crouch down to get a better look and with that better judgement of what it is.

Charles : There's tracks over there heading east until they started following these.

Oliver : Can you tell what they are?

Charles : One massive wolf and a human. The earlier tracks don't show any signs of chase so I believe these two were walking together.

Oliver : Is there anything else about the human tracks.

Charles : Hmm... two things, size 13 and no grip marks telling me that this are hand made shoes.

Oliver : Let's carry on.

Why are these tracks here, is that man we met or is someone else out. Only time will tell but for now we will continue following these tracks.

Half an hour has past until Charles ago called out to me.

Charles : Boss, you gotta take a look at this!

I can see Charles standing on a small mound of snow staring down at something.

Oliver : The rest of you check the surrounding area.

Now standing next to Charles I see a big stain of blood in snow with no body.

Oliver : Is that blood its?

Charles : Must be, I know I hit her...

I grabbed Charles by the neck and and warn him in a aggressive toon.

Oliver : I think you mean it. Do not get attached. Need I remind you why we're hunting this thing.

Charles : N-no b-b-boss.

Oliver : Good.

Owen : Boss! Charles! I found more of those tracks.

Looking at Charles one more I let go and went to Owen, a hired hand, to inspect his find. Charles right behind me.

Oliver : Well?

Charles : These are definitely the same as the earlier ones but they... look to be in a rush. Give me a moment.

Charles stood up and inspected the area taking a moment to think. He looked in the direction the tracks are heading and ,by the expression of his face, came to a conclusion.

Charles : When I shot h-uh it last night it panicked I run this way until it collapsed here where a person and a wolf found it and carried it farther east. Mostly the house we saw.

What Charles said made sense and looking where the tracks headed I thought for a bit.

Oliver : Alright boys we're going back to camp.

Doug : Shouldn't we keep following the track?

Oliver : No need. We know where it is and it aren't going anywhere anytime soon now pick up your useless ass and run.

-Ahri POV-

I'm still not sure if I can trust Y/n or not. He is currently outside covering something with snow look extremely serious. Hati came out of nowhere and maneuvered her head under my arm.

Ahri : Hati is he usually like?

Hati : No.

Ahri : Then why is he acting like this.

Hati : ...

Ahri : *sigh* I think it's best if I leave then.

I turned away from the window and started walking to get my things but I was stopped by Hati speaking.

Hati : It's because he cares about you and he may not show it but he is scared of being alone.

Ahri : But he's not alone. He has you.

Hati : He didn't always have me. He is a afraid of losing both of us.

Ahri : But he barely knows me.

Hati turned to face me while giving me, what I think is, a genuine smile.

Hati : Doesn't mean anything to him. What he sees in you is all that matter.

We both stared at each other for some time until Y/n opened the door. He looked at us with confusion. Most likely wondering why we're just staring at each other and slowly stepped back outside closing the door.

-Y/n POV-

(Thoughts) Holy shit. The tension in there is thick I'm surprised the house is still in one piece.

Hati : It's alright Y/n you can come inside.

Y/n : Are you sure?

Hati : Just... get inside.

Opening the door again I peaked through now seeing both of them are worried. I need to find out why they're like this.

Y/n : Is everything okay?

Hati : I know it's only been a few hours but ever since lunch you haven't been yourself. You've been quite and distant and we are both wondering why you were outside.

Y/n : I'm just preparing.

Ahri : For what?

Y/n : You don't need to worry yourself Ahri.

Ahri : Well I'm starting to believe that you guys are hiding something from me.

Both Hati and I kept quiet not wanting to tell the truth.

Ahri : I need to know.

Hati : *sigh* when we found you, you weren't just injured but you were shot by a crossbow. The problem is we know who shot you because Y/n met some men the day before looking for a fox with snow white fur. We know it's you they're looking for and...

Ahri : And you're just going to hand me over when they arrive, is that.

I am shocked by Ahri but I can see her starting to tear up.

Y/n : No that's not why we helped you.

Ahri : Then why?!

Hati look at me also wondering the same question.

Y/n : Because I see a lot of myself in you. Alone, frighten and no family. I was alone for a long time and I know the pain it brings. I don't want you to be alone or frighten. I want Hati and I to be the friends you can call family. I just want to protect you.

Ahri is in full crying mood leaning her head against my chest. I pet her head trying to help her calm down. She looked up at me with those tear full orange eyes and said.

Ahri : Please, never let be alone.

Y/n : Never.