Chapter 7 : The escape

-Y/n POV-

Redgrave and I have been driving for five days only stopping to refuel or stretch our legs but now we're crouching on top of a hill looking down, through binoculars, at an old medieval building. The place is a fortress with watchtowers scattered around the perimeter, all with mounted searchlights. Guards patrolling the outside and on the walls. The only thing I recognize is the metal vans parked in a line. The gate looked to be solid steel and there are more the 30 men outside. There's no telling how many are inside.

Y/n: Great how the hell am I supposed to get in.

Red: You could...

Y/n: Sorry but that was a rhetorical question.

Red: I'm just saying that that place is famous in the history of our town.

I look at Redgrave completely confused as to where this is going.

Y/n: And?

Red: When the first settlers built that place they stumble upon a vast cave system stretching for 10 miles in all directions. In fact, it was how the prisoners escape and brought an army that led to the settler's downfall.

He said all this while looking at the place like he was recalling a history lesson he got back at school. I just stared at him more until he looked at me with confusion written on his face.

Red: What?

Y/n: Do you know where a cave entrance is?

Red: No. I only know that there are caves.

Y/n : *sigh* let's just see if we can't get better... SHIT!

I was walking back to the car hoping to drive around the fort but I fell through the snow into a cave, landing hard on the rocky floor.

Red: Jesus! Are you alright?!

Y/n: I'm fine. Looks like I've found the caves you talk about.

Red: Do you want me to climb down or get you out?

I paused for a moment thinking of the best possible plan for the moment. Redgrave is currently my only getaway driver and he said the caves run to the fort. I look up to see his concerned face and say.

Y/n: Wait there. If I'm not back by tomorrow morning, leave.

Red nodded to show he understands what the plan is and now on a deadline, I make my way through the caves. At first, I could not see anything in the pitch black but with every minute that passes by my eyes adjusted to the dark. Soon I can see everything as clear as day. I started running in the caves, jumping on rocks, and climbing small ledges all while trying to keep track of where I'm going so I know where the exit is. Like all cave systems, I came across a fork. This was not what I need right now so I tried everything I could think of that could at least let me know which way to take. After about ten minutes of thinking I started hearing the rhythmic beating of my heart. Is it really that quiet down here. Are there really no other forms of life or movement. Then I heard another rhythmic beating but it was much weaker, so much so that I could barely hear it. It is coming from the right of the fork. After following the passage for some unknown time the other rhythmic beating started getting louder and before I knew it I can see a stone wall where the beating is coming from. I step closer to the wall and knock on it waiting for a response. After hearing nothing I knock again but this time the response is a very muffled voice.

Ahri: Whose there?

Y/n: Ahri, it's me Y/n! Stay away from the wall!

Not waiting for anything else I start banging at the wall using nearby stones to try and knock it down. It didn't take long to knock it down. I can see the tears in Ahri's eyes as she couldn't believe what she was seeing. She walked up to me putting her hands on my cheeks. Most likely checking if I'm real. After a bit tears started running down as she buried her face in my chest wrapping her arms around my waist.