Chapter Three: Pack Mentality

A school bus was found in the morning, battered and covered in claw marks and blood. As I examined it from a distance, I frowned. It couldn't have been Scott, I would have known... or at least I thought I would. We later found out that there was a survivor, a man who had to be taken to he hospital.

At lunch, Lydia dragged us over to Scott and Stiles' table. They were talking, something to do with the bus. 'Figure what out?' asked Lydia, setting her lunch tray down on the table and taking a seat. I'd taken a seat next to Stiles but immediately regretted it when I saw the way he was gazing at her.

'Just, uh, homework,' Scott replied.

'Yeah,' Stiles leaned over to Scott and whispered, 'Why is she sitting with us?' Scott seemed lost for words, especially when Allison sat next to him. Stiles looked over to me and gave me and awkward smile before scratching his temple and looking over at Danny instead. I roll my eyes.

'Get up,' Jackson strutted over to us, looking at the boy sat next to Lydia.
'How come you never ask Danny to get up?' he retorts.

Danny chuckles, 'Because I don't stare at his girlfriend's coin slot.' The boy scoffed, letting Jackson take his seat.

'So, I hear they're saying it's some type of animal attack,' Danny said, changeing the topic.

'Probably a cougar or a mountain lion,' Jackson remarked.

'A cougar is a mountain lion,' Lydia snapped, pausing when Jackson gave her a questioning look, 'Isn't it?'

'Who cares?' Jackson replied with a huff, 'The guy's probably some homeless tweaker who's gonna die anyway.'

Stiles cut in, 'Actually, I just found out who it is. Check it out.' He held his phone out and we leant in, listening to the news reporter who had appeared on the small screen.

'The Sheriff's Department won't speculate on details of the incident, but confirmed the victim, Garrison Meyers, did survive the attack. Meyers was taken to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition.' I sighed, tapping my fingers frantically on the table as the reporter continued, their voice seeming quiet to me as I felt my chest tighten.

'I know this guy!' Scott gasped.

Allison frowned and turned to look at him in confusion, 'You do?'

'Yeah, when I used to take the bus, back when I lived with my dad. He was the driver,' I felt a foot gently nudge mine and looked up to see Allison looking at me in concern. I noded silently as I snapped out of my trance, showing that I was okay.

'Can we talk about something slightly more fun, please?' Lydia pleaded, 'Like, oh, where are we going tomorrow night? You said you and Scott were hanging out tomorrow night, right?'

Allison paused, 'Um, we were thinking of what we were gonna do,' she said as she looked at Scott. Stiles furrowed his brows in confusion.

'Well, I am not sitting home again watching lacrosse videos. So if the four of us are hanging out, we are doing something fun,' demanded the redhead.

Scott looked absolutely confused and maybe even terrified. He turned to Allison with a hint of hope in his eyes, 'We're hanging out?' She shrugged. 'Like, the four of us?' Stiles facepalmed and I rolled my eyes. 'Do you wanna hang out, like us and them?'

'Yeah, I guess. Sounds fun.' She seemed to be reassuring herself more than him.

'You know what else sounds fun? Stabbing myself in the face with this fork.' Jackson snapped as he held up a fork to prove his point, but Lydia quickly snatched it out of his hands.