Chapter Thirty-Eight: Alpha Pact

'Derek!' I yelled, slapping him in the face in an effort to wake him up. 'Derek, come on!' I paused, curling my hand into a fist, his eyes shot open and he grabbed my hand before I could punch him.

He looked around in confusion, 'Where is she?'

'Jennifer?' Stiles piped up, 'Gone, with Scott's mom.'

'She took her?'

Stiles nodded, 'Yeah. If that's not enough of a kick to the balls, Scott left with Deucalion, okay? So we gotta get you out of here. The police are coming right now, and we gotta get you the hell out of here.' We helped Derek to sit up.

'What about Cora?'

'Isaac and Peter are getting her out of here. Look, you need to get out of here, we'll stay and hold off the cops but you need to leave,' I instructed. He nodded silently, sending me one last sorrowful look before melting into the shadows.

Stiles and I sat in the hospital, waiting for the police to arrive. The door flew open and a tall man in a suit strode in, followed by people in FBI jackets. He noticed us and Stiles groaned, 'Just perfect.'

The man stood in front of us, hands in his pockets as he huffed, 'A Stilinski at the centre of this whole mess. What a shocker. Think you can answer some questions without the usual level of sarcasm?' He didn't even look at me, just continued to glare at Stiles disapprovingly.

'If you can ask the questions without the usual level of stupid,' he retorted.

The man grimaced, 'Where's your dad, and why has no one been able to contact him?'

Stiles' grip on my hand tightened, 'I don't know. I haven't seen him in hours.'

'Is he drinking again?'

'What do you mean "again"? He never had to stop.'

The man didn't want to give up, 'But he did have to slow down. Is he drinking like he used to?'

I scoffed, noticing his irritability, the faint stench of his breath and the slight tremor in his hands. 'Are you?' he gave me a confused look, 'I'm very perceptive.'

'Alright,' Stiles huffed, 'How about this? Next time I see him, I'll give him a field sobriety test, okay? We'll do the alphabet. Start with F, end with U.'

'How about you just tell me what the hell happened here?'

Stiles shook his head, 'I don't know what happened here, we were stuck in the elevators the whole time.'

'You're not the ones who put the name on the doors, are you?' he asked us.

I frowned, 'What name?'

'Argent.'

——————

Once we got home, I was relieved to find that Chris and Allison were okay. 'The word is "guardian", girls. More than anyone, you two know that's a role I haven't exactly lived up to lately.'

'But she took Scott's mother and Stiles' father, that's not a coincidence,' Allison argued as we entered the office.

'Yeah, I'd also consider the fact that someone put your name up in large block letters on the elevator doors. That kind of felt like a warning to me,' Stiles cut in.

Allison sighed, 'I think it might be Morrell. She knows a lot more than she lets on, and she might be trying to help us.'

'Well, she needs to get on that a lot faster, okay? Seeing as that the lunar eclipse is less than two freaking nights away.' Stiles slumped down in one of the chairs and I quickly sat in the one next to him, sending him a small smile.