Chapter Eighteen: Abomination

I was sat next to Boyd in Derek's hideout, drawing in my sketchbook as the others trained. Isaac and Erica kept trying to sprint and jump around Derek but he threw them back to the floor every time.

Derek sighed, 'Does anyone want to try not being completely predictable?' Suddenly, Erica jumped on him, wrapping her legs around his hips and kissing him. After a while, he threw her back next to Isaac. He wiped his mouth, 'That's the last time you do that.'

'Why?' Erica asked, 'Because I'm a Beta?'

'No, it's because I have someone else in mind for you,' Derek snapped, making me frown.

Isaac grunted, holding his stomach. 'Are we done? 'Cause I got about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heal.'

Derek nodded, coming forwards and taking Isaac's arm. He twisted it upwards, the bone snapping and making a sickening cracking sound as Isaac screamed in pain. 'Hundred and one,' Derek corrected, 'You think I'm teaching you how to fight, huh? Look at me! I'm teaching you how to survive!'

Isaac spoke up, 'If they wanted us dead, why aren't they coming for us now? What are they waiting for?'

'I don't know. But they're planning something and you, especially, know that's not our only problem. Whatever that thing is that killed Isaac's father, I think it killed someone else last night. And until I find out what it is, you all need to learn everything that I know. As fast as I can teach you.'

I followed Derek to his room and folded my arms, glaring at him.' What the hell was that?' I asked harshly.

'What?'

'All of that! You're meant to be training them, not bullying them! Derek, they're children.'

He scoffed, 'Not anymore, they're werewolves now. They have to learn to fight or they'll get hunted down.'

'Because of you! You made them like this!'

'You gave me the names!'

'Because I thought that you could help them, make their lives better. But Scott was right, this is all about you and your power. They trust you, Isaac trusts you. He thought that you could help him, but now you're hurting him just because you can, do you have any idea how hard it's going to be for him to trust people?' I ranted, trying to fight the anger boiling inside.

'I didn't hurt him "because I could."'

'You broke his arm to make a point. You're fucking sick! And don't even get me started on Erica!'

Derek frowned, 'What about Erica?'

'She's fifteen years old, Derek!!!" I lower my voice a little,' She's fifteen and you're... I don't even know how old you are, but you're definitely in your twenties. Don't lead her on. If you do, I swear to God, I will kick your ass. Don't think I won't.' I stormed out, leaving him utterly speechless.

——————

Allison and I were having lunch as she talked to Stiles. She and Scott had been using him as a messenger since my aunt and uncle are practically watching everything she does. She tried to hold back her laughter, 'I think you mean-'

'No, I mean Bestiary,' Stiles cut in, 'And the two of you, I don't want to know what's going on in your heads.' I snickered quietly and he shot me an irritated glare which I reponded to with a cheek grin.

'Okay. Um, can you describe this thing?' I asked him.

'Uh, it's probably like a book. Old, worn...'

'Like, bound in leather?' Allison asked. Stiles nodded, asking us a few more questions before running off to tell Scott. She turned to me, 'How's it going in Derek's pack?' she sounded a little disapproving.