Chapter Thirty-Six: The Girl Who Knew Too Much

I groaned as Allison shook me awake, 'Allie? What are you doing?' I mumbled as I looked at my alarm clock, 'It's two in the morning.'

'I know. Lydia called, we need to get to the school'

I dragged myself out of bed, pulling a hoodie over my pyjamas and following her to the car.

——————

'Where is she?' Stiles asked Scott, getting out of his jeep.

'Over here,' I called as Allison, Lydia and I rushed up to them.

He sighed, 'Lydia?'

'It's the same thing. Same thing as the pool. I got into the car, heading somewhere totally different, and ended up here. And you told me to call you if there's a dead body.'

'You found a dead body?' he shouted.

She shook her head, 'Not yet.'

'"Not yet"? What do you mean "not yet"? You're supposed to call us after you find the dead body.'

She held up her hand, 'No, I'm not doing that again. You find the dead body from now on.'

'How are we supposed to find the dead body?' he asked in exasperation, 'You're always the one finding the dead body.'

'Guys!' Scott called for their attention as they bickered, 'I found the dead body.'

We turned around, gasping when we saw a body lying limply across the school sign, its blood dripping down and staining the bricks into a crimson hue.

——————

Allison stayed home that day, I knew that she was faking being ill but I didn't say anything. 'Hey, Ari!' Isaac yelled, trying to catch up to me.

'Oh, hey, Isaac!' I grinned, 'What's up?'

'N-nothing, I just noticed that Allison wasn't in today. She okay?' he asked, scratching the back of his neck.

I chuckled and sent him a teasing grin, 'Someone's got a crush.'

He scoffed, 'Yeah, right. I mean, maybe... what? No, no, no, no. I-I don't.'

'Go check on her if you're that concerned,' I sighed, walking off. 'Oh, and be careful! She's got quick reflexes,' I called back to him over my shoulder.

'Idioms, analogies, metaphors and similes. All tools the writer uses to tell their story,' Miss Blake explained as we sat in English. She paused next to Lydia, looking at the tree that she was sketching. 'Lydia I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents,' she remarked softly.

'You and every guy I've ever dated.'

Miss Blake's eyes widened in surprise, 'Well, that was an idiom, by the way.' She looked away in confusion and slight regret before continuing. 'Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture,' she stopped again, giving Scott and Stiles pointed looks. 'They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying "Jump the gun" is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race,  or a phrase like "Seeing the whole board."'