Chapter Forty-Three: Illuminated

We all sat in the Sheriff's office, being questioned by Agent McCall. 'So when did you get there?' he asked Stiles and I.

'At the same time,' I shrugged.

'At the same time as who?'

Scott raised his hand, 'At the same time as me.'

'By coincidence?'

'What do you mean "coincidence"?'

The man sighed in frustration, 'That's what I'm asking you. The three of you arrived at the same time, was that coincidence?'

Scott frowned, 'Are you asking me?'

'I think he's asking me,' Stiles said.

'Or me,' I piped up.

Lydia shrugged, 'I think he's asking all of you.'

I could tell that his patience was wearing thin, 'Okay, let me answer the questions... let me ask the questions. Just so I have this absolutely clear, Barrow was hiding in the chemistry closet at the school, someone left him a coded message on the blackboard telling him to kill Kira, then Barrow took Kira to a power substation and tied her up with the intent of electrocuting her, which blacked out the entire town. '

Stiles nodded, 'Sounds about right.'

'How did you know he'd take her to a power station?'

'Well, 'cause he was an electrical engineer. So where else would he take her,' Stiles explained with a smirk.

The man huffed, "That's one hell of a deduction there, Stiles"

'Yeah, what can I say? I take after my pops, he's in law enforcement,' he grinned, pointing and winking at his dad.

The Sheriff snorted with laughter, quickly masking it as a cough when McCall turned to look at him. 'Stiles, just, uh... just answer the man.'

He sighed, 'We made a good guess.'

McCall glanced over at Scott and Kira, 'What were the two of you doing?'

'Eating pizza.'

'Eating sushi,' they both gave different answers at the same time.

They glanced at each other before switching their replies, 'Eating sushi.'

'Eating pizza,' they replied at the same time again.

They paused, 'Eating sushi and pizza.'

The Agent scoffed as he looked at the Sheriff, 'You believe this?'

'To be honest, I haven't believed a word Stiles has said since he learned how to speak. But I think these kids found themselves in the right place at the right time and that girl sitting there is very lucky for it.'

'Kira, is that how you remember it?' McCall asked.

We all leaned forward and looked at her expectantly, she glanced around at us nervously, 'Yes. Could I get my phone back now?'

'Sorry, but no.'

I let out a silent sigh of relief as we were let out of the office. 'Kira, a deputy is going to take you home. But we'll need you to fill out some paperwork first,' the Agent explained.

I noticed her watch as one of the deputies took her phone and brought it to the evidence locker.

——————

'Class starts in five minutes, 'Coach spoke through a megaphone as he walked down the hallway, 'Just because there's no power, don't expect there to be no school!'