Chapter Twenty-Four: Fury

I sighed in relief when I got a text from Stiles, asking me to meet him at the sheriff's station. I had been desperately trying to busy myself in the hopes that I'd find a distraction, something to hold off the grief. I didn't believe him at first when he said that Matt was controlling the kanima, but everything quickly fell into place.

I followed them into the building, waiting for Stiles' dad to get us inside. The deputy at the front desk sighed, 'It's two in the morning.'

'Believe me, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't extremely important.'

Stiles began to whisper to Scott and I, 'We look at the hospital stuff first, okay?'

'Why?'

'Because all the murders were committed by Jackson except for one, you remember?'

I nodded, 'The pregnant girl, Jessica.'

'Since Matt had to kill her himself, somebody from the hospital could've seen him.'

The deputy nodded to the door, letting us in as Stiles' dad thanked her.

We stood in the Sheriff's office, watching over the security footage from the hospital on the night of Jessica's murder. 'I don't know, guys. I mean, look at this,' Mr Stilinski rubbed his jaw tiredly, 'There was a six-car pileup that night, the hospital was jammed.'

Stiles huffed, 'Alright, just keep going. Look, he had to pass one of the cameras on that floor to get to Jessica, okay? He's gotta be on the footage somewhere.'

Scott gasped, 'Oh, hold on, stop. Did you see that? Scroll back.'

A figure walked past, its back to the camera. I immediately recognised it, 'That's him. That's Matt.'

'All I see is the back of someone's head.'

'Matt's head, yeah,' Stiles explained,'"I sit behind him in chemistry. He's got a very distinct cranium, it's weird.'

'Are you crazy?'

'Alright, fine. Then look at his jacket, huh? How many people do you know who wear black leather jackets?'

I rolled my eyes and his dad responded, 'Millions, literally.'

'Okay, can we scroll forward?' Scott asked, 'There's gotta be a shot of him coming at one of the cameras.'

'Right there! Stop, stop. See? There he is again,' Stiles shouted.

'You mean there's the back of his head again.'

I huff, 'Okay, but look. He's talking to someone.'

We look closer at the screen and I could sense Scott's shock, 'He's talking to my mom!'

He immediately got his phone out, calling her. 'Scott, you know how many people I deal with in a day?' his mom sighed.

'This one's sixteen. He's got dark hair, looks like a normal teenager,' Scott tried to explain, but Stiles cut in.

'Yeah, he looks evil.'

'Scott, I already talked to the police about this.'

He paused, getting his phone out. 'Okay, Mom, I'm gonna take a picture and send it to you,' she was silent for a moment. 'Did you get it?' he asked.

'Yeah.'

'Do you recognise him? Do you remember him?'

'Yeah, I did. I mean, I remember I stopped him because he was tracking mud in the hall. Scott, what's going on?'