Chapter Six: Heart Monitor

Allison, Lydia and I were sat at lunch as Allison read a book to us about the Beast of Gévaudan. Lydia frowned, 'The what of who?'

'The Beast of Gévaudan,' Allison explained, 'Listen. "A quadruped wolf-like monster prowling the Auvergne and South Dordogne areas of France during the year 1764 to 1767. La Bete killed over 100 people, becoming so infamous that the King Louis XV sent one of his best hunters to try and kill it."'

Lydia sighed, 'Boring.'

'"Even the church eventually declared the monster a messenger of Satan,"' she continued.

'Hmm... still boring.'

'"Cryptozoologists believe it may have been a subspecies of hoofed predator, possibly a mesonychid."'

'Slipping-into-a-coma bored.'

'"While others believe it was a powerful sorcerer who could shape-shift into a man-eating monster."' I sighed, it was impossible for me to say anything, my family were already getting suspicious.

'Any of this have anything to do with your family?'

'This: "It is believed that La Bête was finally trapped and killed by a renowned hunter who claimed his wife and four children were the first to fall prey to the creature." His name was Argent,' Allison finished with a smirk.

Lydia seemed very on edge, her heart beat picking up a little as he shrugged, 'Your ancestors killed a big wolf, so what?'

'Not just a big wolf. Take a look at this picture, what does it look like to you?' Allison showed us a picture in one of the books. It showed a large black creature with glowing eyes, surrounded by a thick cloud of smoke. At its feet, there were piles of bodies. Lydia's eyes widened and her heart rate raised significantly.

'Lydia? Lydia?'

'It looks like a big wolf. See you in History,' she smiled at us condescendingly before picking up her bag and storming out.

I frowned, seeing Scott hiding behind a large book. Rolling my eyes, I walked past them and giving Stiles a small smile. 'Hey, Scott, you'd better figure this out soon. Allie's starting to notice that you're avoiding her,' I readjusted the strap of my bag on my shoulder and head off to the library.

As we entered Econ, I saw Allison rush over to the seat behind Scott, stopping Stiles in his tracks. I giggled and sat next to him. Coach slammed a book on his desk, causing everyone to look at him.

'Let's settle down. Let's start with a quick summary of last night's reading,'he looked around at the class as several people put their hands up.

His face immediately fell when he saw the boy sat in the corner, 'Put your hand down, Greenberg. Everyone knows you did the reading.' I had never understood what Greenberg had done wrong, so I sent him a little reassuring smile which he returned.

'How about... McCall.'

Scott looked up in confusion, 'What?'

'The reading.'

'Last night's reading?'

'How about the reading of the Gettysburg Address.'

'What?' he looked even more confused.

'It's sarcasm. You familiar with the term "sarcasm," McCall?'

Scott looked over at Stiles, who had a proud smile on his face, 'Very.'

'Did you do the reading or no?' Coach had become quite impatient.

'Um... I think I forgot.'

'Nice work, McCall. It's not like you're not averaging a D in this class. Come on, buddy. You know I can't keep you on the team if you have a D. How about you summarise... the previous night's reading?'

The class sat in astounded silence as he began to yell, 'No? How about the night before that? How about you summarise anything you've ever read in your entire life? No, a blog? How about... how about the back of a cereal box? No?

A cruel glare made its way onto his face, 'How about the adults-only warning from your favourite website you visit every night? Anything?'

'Thank you, McCall, thank you. Thank you, McCall! Thank you for extinguishing any last flicker of hope I have for your generation! You just blew it for everybody. Thanks. Next practise, you can start with suicide runs, unless that's too much reading. All right, everybody, settle down.'

I had huddled in on myself as soon as he began shouting, hugging myself tightly. I noticed a foot brush against mine and looked over to see Stiles looking at me, full of concern. I gave him a small nod, showing that I was okay.

A/n:
Thank you for reading. As always, comment your thought (please be nice to each other). I have a really strong urge to make Greenberg an actual character (or at least have a few interactions, idk)