Chapter Forty-One: More Bad Than Good

Stiles and I sprinted through the woods in the direction that Scott went, jumping over rocks and ducking under branches as we went. A figure emerged from the darkness, causing us to yelp in surprise.

I sighed, realising that it was Scott. 'I think we found something,' Stiles told him.

'So did I.'

We crawled into a small cave as Stiles used the flashlight to illuminate it, 'It's a coyote den.'

'Werecoyote,' Scott corrected.

I frowned, picking up a small blue coat, 'Isn't this Malia's? She was wearing it in the photo.'

Scott nodded silently, picking up a grubby teddy bear, 'We shouldn't be in here.'

'What do you mean?'

'She's not going to come back now, we just invaded her home. Our scent's going to be everywhere.'

Stiles looked around nervously, 'If she's not going to come back here, where's she going to go?'

'I don't know.'

Stiles sighed, 'Can you track her now? You think you got her scent?'

'I don't know, I'm terrible at tracking.'

Scott shrugged, 'I'm better at this when I'm a full wolf and I'm still worried that if I do it, I won't be able to turn back.'

'The door's still open.'

He nodded, 'If Ari can't track her and I can't get to Derek, we're gonna have to find someone else to help.'

Stiles' eyes widened as he got an idea, 'This is basically a crime scene, right?'

'I think it might be a little out of my boss's league. '

'And more in your dad's,' I looked to Stiles.

The Sheriff frowned as he made his way over to us, he looked at Scott, 'You're sure it was her?'

'I looked her right in the eyes and they glowed just like mine.'

Stiles shrugged, 'It makes sense, Dad.'

'But it wasn't a girl, it was a four-legged coyote, right?'

'Well, okay. But yeah, see, that's the point that we don't exactly have figured out yet,' Stiles huffed.

I cut in, 'Okay, but if it was a full moon and she did change while her mom was driving, anything could've happened.'

'Horrible things could've happened. Ripping, shredding, tearing things.'

'Which is probably what caused the accident.'

Stiles huffed, 'Think about it, Dad. They're driving, Malia starts to change, she goes out of control, the mom crashes and everybody dies...'

Scott nodded, 'Except for Malia.'

'She blames herself, right? Goes off running into the woods and eventually becomes trapped inside the body of a coyote.'

The Sheriff nodded, 'That makes sense... in a Chinese folktale! Guys, this is... this is insane. I need this kept quiet. The three of you, not a word. I don't want anyone hearing about this, I especially don't want Mr Tate hearing about this.' Scott gasped, looking into the distance,' Scott? Scott!'

He blinked, 'Sorry, what did you say?'

Another car pulled up and the Sheriff groaned in annoyance, 'Oh, hell!' Mr Tate and Agent McCall strode up to us, 'Mr Tate.'

The man came forward, taking the blanket from Sheriff Stilinski's hand. 'Mr Tate?' Agent McCall asked.

'It's hers.'