Chapter 6

Shuijing

I just ran out of the party without paying attention to which direction I was going, and soon, I found myself near the docks- away from the party, and away from the man who was oblivious to the fact that he had my heart. I sat down, and cried my heart out. I couldn't exactly blame him for what I was feeling since he didn't know, but I couldn't take it anymore. It's hard enough having to pretend that everything is okay, but seeing him with another girl just breaks my heart. I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I didn't hear footsteps coming from behind me.

"Shuijing?" a soft voice asked, and I turned around and saw Shancai. She was bright red, and was staring at me with wide eyes.

"Are you okay?" she asked, as she took in the tears rolling down my face. I nodded, and wiped them away. I smiled weakly at her.

"I'm fine Shancai." I answered, then stared back at her. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Want to explain to me why you look so confused? You look like you just got out of an embarrassing situation." I asked her as she sat down beside me. Her eyes shifted from me, then, at the sea beneath her feet.

"Well...I.. uh.." she said as she looked down and fiddled with her fingers. I smiled reassuringly, and placed my hand on top of hers. She looked up at me with a small frown.

"You can tell me. It's okay." I comforted as I gave her a small smile. She looked down again at her fingers and inhaled deeply.

"Daoming Si and I kissed." she answered, and my eyes widened. I knew Ah Si seemed like he was a confrontational type of person, but this was news to me.

"What?! How did- when did- uh..what happened?!" I asked with wide eyes as my voice got louder.

"Well.. he was walking closer to me when the DJ started the countdown, and I kept stepping back when someone bumped into me from behind- so, Daoming Si caught me. Then, the lights turned off. When it came back on, I was on top of him and our lips were pressed together." she explained as she blushed. I giggled.

"You didn't like it?" I teased, and she turned redder than an apple.

"N-n-no way! It was an accident! I don't want him to misunderstand." she defended, and I laughed at her reaction.

"Who do you not want to misunderstand you? By any chance, is it Huaze Lei?" I asked kindly, and she went silent.

"You're in love with Lei aren't you?" I added knowingly and she stared at me in shock.

"I-uh..um.." she tried to explain, but I held up my hand to stop her from talking.

"Shancai, I've been in love with someone for 16 years and I know what it looks like okay?" I reassured her.

"Is that the problem? Are you in love with Lei too?" she asked nervously. I looked back at her, holding back a laugh.

"No. He's not the one I was referring to. It's.. it's complicated Shancai." I said, as I let out a sigh and looked down at the water.

"You can tell me, I won't tell anyone." she comforted as she held my hand. I smiled, and took a deep breath.

"I'm in love with someone who I know can never be mine. I've loved him for years but I know he'll never look at me the same way." I said as I bitterly smiled. She stood back at me in disbelief.

"What guy wouldn't like you Shuijing? You're Tengtang Shuijing. You're one of the most beautiful women in the world. You're smart, you're rich, you're pretty, you're kind. What more could someone ask for?" she exclaimed, as she continued to look at me. I smiled.