see you again

They silently sat across from each other, the tension of their clenched fists and tight shoulders revealing the anger boiling between them. The clashing of silver wear had ceased, they both stopped pretending to eat and Lily rose and began to clear the table.

"But it's my turn-" He began, before she ripped the plate out of his hand and stormed into the kitchen. "Fine. Take it..." After a beat of silence he boldly added, "I'm not taking it back. It's understandable claim."

"No," Lily cut James off, her teeth grinding together and her lips curled, "It's not understandable."

James's jaw locked and his nostrils flared. "I didn't mean for it to sound flippant. I loved Dorcas. She was like a little sister-"

"The little sister you were willing to sacrifice."

"That is NOT what I said! Quit taking my words and twisting them!" James shouted throwing up his hands and stepping into the kitchen.

Lily said, "Did you not say better Dorcas than Marlene?!"

"No," He laughed coldly, "Proof of how you love to twist my words around on me!"

"Oh? What did you say then, Potter?"

"Well, Potter," He replied sharply, "I said I was glad Marlene was alive and I was glad she survived."

Lily glowered at him and pointed at him. "No, no no! You didn't! You said you were happy it wasn't Marlene!"

"WELL IT'S TRUE! I loved Dorcas but Marlene is family-"

"And Dorcas wasn't?!"

"I've known Marlene my entire life!" James breathed in exasperation. "I've been friends with her longer than I've known any of you!"

Lily said, "You still shouldn't have said it!"

"I don't care! It's true."

"You shouldn't play favorites! How would you like it if someone said that about you? 'Oh I like James and all but I prefer Gideon so I kind of hope out of the two of them Gideon makes it.' You sound like a prick."

James's skin flushed and his hazel eyes widened in fury. "Oh well pardon fucking me, Lily! I apologize for having an honest slip up! But she wasn't my best friend! Everyone means something different to someone else! I would have said the same thing if it was between you and Dorcas. It's just realistic. If it's life or death we aren't all going to make it."

"It's sick is what it is."

"You are acting like I was there and I chose!"

"No. I'm. Not! I'm saying it's not right to act like Marlene's life or anyone else's for the matter was more important than hers!"

"I'm not! Dorcas was the one who sacrificed herself. She chose to die-"

"Don't even say her name." Lily snapped, her eyes burning. "Don't you say her name in that way like she would back you in this."

James said, "Because she would. You know she would."

"Well we will never know that for sure will we?" Lily said, her voice cracking. "Because she walked right into a hornets nest without even saying goodbye."

He softened at the sight of her tears. "Lily..."

"No." She shook her head, her tone bitter. "She's gone. And you saying...you even implying that you are remotely relieved or satisfied with it...I can't look at you..."

"Li-ly!"

She grabbed her purse and maneuvered around him, dodging his swipe for her arm. "No. I have to go help my friend Remus. Why don't you go retrieve Dorcas's things for him? I hope that's not too much to ask of you."