22

'Tricky investigation' continues

Natalie Miller, Editor-in-Chief

University Police have been working closely with the city police following the murder of student Dax Sharp.

The departments usually cover separate jurisdictions, but the Sharp investigation called for teamwork, Chief of Police John Waters said.

"In cases such as this one, it's in everyone's best interest that our two departments work together," he said. "Especially when it's something like a murder, it's important to bring in the local police department so we have those additional resources."

While no one has been formally charged, the departments said they are still conducting interviews.

"At this stage, we still can't say for sure what happened," said Sheriff Michael Stafford. "Hopefully the more people we talk to, the clearer a picture we'll get of what happened that night."

Since the night of the murder, the university has increased its reminders to students to take caution. On-campus residents are encouraged to keep their doors locked as much as possible, both to prevent theft and personal injury.

Students have also been cautioned about walking alone after dark.

"These are tricky times," Stafford said. "Times like these, sometimes you have to take extra precautions."

He suggested students stick to well-lit areas of campus if walking after dark.

Marcus Rowland, Director of Campus Communications and spokesperson for the university, said students can expect the investigation to be successfully wrapped up in the near future.

"Whatever it takes, we are going to continue to cooperate fully with the police to bring justice to the situation," Rowland said. "This shouldn't have happened, and as a community we are still very much saddened by Dax Sharp's passing. All we can do now is see to it that we carry on in the way he would have wanted."