2

Student found dead, police suspect murder

At 2:38 a.m., University Police were called to a dorm for an unresponsive student, according to an email sent out by the university at 6:35 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 29.

The officer found no pulse on the student, identified as Dax Sharp.

The city police department was called in to take over the investigation.

At this time, authorities suspect foul play.

However, they do not know yet whether the perpetrator was another student.

"We can't say anything for certain right now," said Chief of Police John Waters. "What we can say is that this is a real tragedy for this young man's friends and family and for the university community."

Students' safety is a priority and patrols will be increasing starting Sunday, Aug. 30, the email said.

"We want nothing more than for our students to have a safe college experience," said President Mark Carleton. "Police presence will be stepped up until we can ascertain that our students are safe and Dax Sharp's murderer has been brought to justice."

Students are encouraged to reach out to the university or city departments with any information regarding the incident.

Updates will be posted on our website and Facebook page as we receive them.