Epilogue

Seven months later...

As everyone started to exit the gymnasium, I unzipped my gown and pulled my phone out of my pocket.

There were at least half a dozen texts waiting for me, but I only read the top one: "Meet us outside by R Lot."

I darted through the crowd of new graduates and their families.

Stepping out into Michigan's December was a welcome relief after the stuffiness of the ceremony.

Walking on my tiptoes to avoid hobbling in my heels, I hurried down the sidewalk and across the drive to R Lot.

My parents and Eric were waiting at the car with flowers, but someone else beat them to the punch.

"Well, look at you," Cole said, meeting me halfway.

"Now hotter by one degree," I said. I took my cap off with flourish.

He stepped back to let my parents get their hugs in, but then he pulled me aside. "I have something for you."

"Um... What."

Something that could fit in his pocket. Oh dear.

A ketchup packet?

"For your nuggets," he said, laughing at the look on my face.

"My nuggets?"

"Oh. Right. Yeah. We're going to get chicken nuggets."

"I thought we were going to Red Lobster or something," I said, glancing at my parents for confirmation.

"We are. You're going to McDonald's." My mom held out my coat. "Have fun."

"But not too much fun," Eric said.

"Go get your Happy Meal, girl." My dad took my cap and gown as I exchanged them for my winter coat. "We'll see you later."

"Okay. Yeah. See ya later." I let Cole lead me away to his car.

"McDonald's is alright, right? You're okay with not getting Red Lobster?"

"Hell yeah. Gimme the nugs."

"Esketit."

***

Despite my protests, Cole ordered three ten-piece chicken nuggets, two large fries, and two large vanilla shakes.

"I'm gonna have acne for weeks," I said as he handed me my shake.

"But won't it be worth it?"

I took one sip. "Okay. Fine. Yeah. But I can't eat ten nugs."

"Then I'll eat what's left."

"Oh my God."

"What?" He grabbed our tray and carried it to a window booth.

"That's a lot of nugs."

"Okay, but I'm fat and I'm hungry," he said.

"You aren't fat."

"Sure I am."

"Staahhhp." I kicked him under the table.

"I'm chonk."

"No."

"Yes."

"No. You're just getting ready for a long winter."

Thank God he didn't have food in his mouth, because that would've been a spit take.

"That's gonna be my excuse all year long now," he said, laughing. "I'm just getting ready for winter. Forget beach bod. I'm working on my Michigan winter bod."

"Sure."

"You said it first."

"Fair."

"Oh!" He grabbed his phone. "Did I show you the Tik Tok of the cat with the toast?"

"Um... No, I don't think so." I dumped my fries into the lid of my nugget box.

"You have to see this." He turned his phone so I could see. "Look at his face!"

I didn't see what was so funny about a cat with toast on its head, but Cole's laugh was contagious.

He dove into his nuggets, only to freeze up a moment later. "You know what we need to do?" he asked.

I grimaced, waiting for yet another crazy suggestion.

"High School Musical. We need to watch it."

"Right."

"No. Seriously. I can't remember the last time I watched it. We need to watch it."

"Like... right now?"

"Hell yeah." He closed up his chicken nuggets and threw them back in the bag. "Lez go."

I could only laugh and run after him.

*** *** ***