86

Student found dead in gymnasium

Senior right fielder Jared Larsen was found in the gymnasium Monday, Feb. 1, at 4:33 a.m. Authorities said it was clear Larsen hanged himself.

"When we arrived at the scene, it was right away clear to us what had happened," said Police Chief John Waters. "While we don't typically see this kind of accident on campus, we were able to respond quickly and take measures to do what we could for (Larsen)."

Waters said Larsen likely climbed over the railing that runs along inside of the second-floor track.

"We certainly never expect this kind of thing to happen, so it's always a huge shock to the community," he said. "Given the rough start to the school year, it seems (Larsen) may have been more deeply affected by his teammate's passing than he let on."

Marcus Rowland, director of Campus Communications, expressed sadness at the death of a second student in the 2020-21 school year.

"This is an unprecedented situation for the community," Rowland said. "(The university) wants students to know that we are looking into the matter, as well as continuing to investigation the death of Dax Sharp. Our students' safety is a high-ranking priority here."

He said he wanted students to keep the counseling center in mind.

"Especially at times like these, it's important to talk to others," he said. "Students are encouraged to visit our counseling center. We have many services in place to help students."

Head coach Rob Harding could not be reached for comment.

Gym facilities east of the weight room will be closed until further notice.