𝗫𝗫𝗜𝗜|𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘

𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗽𝗲𝗿I stare at the news playing on the tv in the bullpen

𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗽𝗲𝗿
I stare at the news playing on the tv in the bullpen. "Guys" my voice cracks as I read the headline.

26 missing in a school bus hijacking

My dad answers his phone, alerting us that we are on the case.

"What we have is a school bus abduction which occurred at approximately 1 p.m this afternoon." Derek recounts. "What we do know is there were 24 students on board, along with the driver and a monitor." Rossi continues.

"GPS appears to have been disabled. The last known ring was a little over two hours ago." The officers in front of us nod their heads in understanding.

"Highway patrol traced the route the bus was traveling, but they didn't find any accidents," I announce. "We have helicopter and ground units searching the area as we speak" Morgan finishes.

"The SUVs are outside and we'll set up our command post at central high." My dad orders as we walk out of the FBI headquarters.

Blake, Spencer, and I walk out of the SUV. "In the Chowchilla case, the unsub used car trouble as a ruse to get the bus driver's attention" Spencer remarks. "I remember studying that case" I comment.

"The most isolated part of the highway. It's surrounded by nothing." Spencer notices. "No witnesses, nobody to interrupt," Blake adds.

"Making them the perfect target" I sigh.

SUVs and cop cars pull up to the coordinates Garcia sent to our phones. An old abandoned barn. SWAT opens the large doors, entering first allowing us to go in after they clear the barn.

"It's empty!" Morgan yells from inside the bus. "Damnit" I mutter under my breath. Outside I can hear the sound of search dogs barking.

I quickly run towards the noise, seeing a small shed. I stand next to Spencer and Blake as one of the officers opens the door. "Please don't hurt us" A girl whines.

"It's okay you guys are safe now" Spencer assures the group. "There's only fourteen" I announce. "We need to find the other ten." Spencer continues. Blake looks down and sighs in disappointment.

I'm currently sat on the back of an ambulance, trying to soothe one of the victims to get her to remember what happened. "When I am trying to remember something, important details, I find that it really helps if I close my eyes and try to relax." I keep my voice smooth.

She gives me an unsure look before closing her eyes. "That's good" I smile lightly even though she can't see. "You guys are on your way home for school. Can you tell me what happened next?" I question.

"The bus had stopped." Her voice is breathy. "The guys thought he ran out of gas." A smile tries to tug on her lips. "He shot mister Webster." Her eyes shoot open.

She begins gasping for air. "Hey hey hey, it's okay. You're safe" I put a hand on her shoulder. "Did you get a look at the man that hurt mister Webster?" I ask.

"No." She shakes her head. "He wore a mask" she whispers. "What kind of mask?"

"Like a gas mask."

"What happened next?"

"They both had guns. One walked up and down the aisle, while the other just stood there." She sniffles holding back tears.

"So there were two of them?" She nods in response. "Then what happened when you arrived at the barn?" I ask. "They lined us up." She closes her eyes once again.

"Our hands were tied. I was so scared." She cries. "I wanted to run, but they had guns. They put collars around our necks. That's when they started taking turns." Tears roll down her cheeks.

"Taking turns doing what?"

"Picking."

I walk behind the SWAT officers with my gun drawn. The warehouse was covered in rats and smelled of dirt and rust.

"Drop the gun, Matt." My dad orders one of the unsubs. The victim lifts her head to look at me, her eyes holding pain.

She quickly shuffles to her feet before running to me. I holster my gun, wrapping my arms around her and using my body as a shield.

"It's okay, it's over," I mumble into her hair as she clings to me. "Thank you" she cries as I lead her out of the abandoned building.

"It's what we do."

"You did good today Harper" My father praises. "Thanks, dad." I smile before noticing the envelope on my desk. "Harper, do you want to come to my place tonight?" Spencer asks kissing my temple.

"Yeah, just give me a minute." I fake a smile before giving him a quick kiss. Once I make sure he walks away I rip open the envelope.

My dearest Harper,
So nice to see you out in the field today. Tell me, how was your night with the good doctor on Monday? From what I could see you two were having fun.

Tears well in my eyes as I stare at the paper in my hands.

I quickly unlock the cabinet to grab the first note. My legs lead me to the entrance of my father's office.

"Harper, what's wrong?" My dad stands from his chair. "I think someone is watching me." Tears stain my cheeks as my father reads the words.

"Harper, there sadly isn't much I can do now. But he knows where Spencer lives so, ask him to stay with us." My eyes widen at the offer.

"Uh okay dad, thanks" he brings me in for a tight hug, kissing the top of my head.

Little did I know.

I smell an unsub
Word Count: 936