Epilogue🔒

"We are capable of bearing a great burden , once we discover that the burden is reality and arrive where reality is."

-James Baldwin

2 Months Later;

The water ran over the rocks as the stars danced with the sky. It wasn't fully dark but you could still see the stars. It was beautiful. No. Beautiful wasn't the word but I suppose you get the gist.

I listened as R&B music played softly in the background. I listened closely. It was Aaliyah's song "At your Best". I sung lowly and swayed side to side. I traced my name in the sand over and over again. From what I heard, this was his favorite spot.

They said he'd come here all the time during vacation. He left something for me here and I wasn't sure where or what it was. I grabbed a handful of sand and watched it flow from my hand. It wasn't like the flow of a waterfall but it looked just as beautiful in my eyes.

"This key belongs to you. You own it now. After you find your money, you go search for your surprise." My father said.

I stood up and dusted off my shorts. I slowly walked towards the house. I stood in the doorway for a minute thinking. Where could my surprise be? I pulled the little map out that my father had drawn. He wasn't quite the artist. The map lead me to a room that you couldn't quite tell was a room.

I took a deep breath before placing the key in the lock. Once the door opened, I turned the lights on. This room was filled with pictures. Very big ones at that. I removed the pictures and typed the codes into all of them. There were safes in them and I was shocked. How much money did my father really have? I thought I would be done with that part.

I heard something fall from the closet. I slowly turned around and walked towards the noise. I slowly opened the door and I stood still. I couldn't move. I was stuck. This couldn't be real. My mind was playing tricks on me once again. I didn't know what to think. I dropped the painting I had in my hand and fell to the ground.

"At your best you are loved. You're positive motivating force within my life. Should you ever feel the need to wonder why? Let me know. Let me know."

The sequel to the book is called The Way It Is & here is a sneak peak 💙