Chapter 36 | Old

Julian POV

Jaskier gave a small hum towards Geralt as he squeezed the man's hand lightly. He moved it so it rested back down on Geralt's lap so his hand was on the bottom. He gave a small smile, more like a relaxed neutral expression but it looked like a smile to strangers. He let Geralt turn to look out the window, letting him go to his own thoughts. He knew better than to not let Geralt's process or let wherever was going on in his mind to play out. It was his thinking time, Jaskier would just have to be patient. And for Geralt, he always will be.

He focused on the road completely this time, zoning out slightly from the rest of the world as he did so. He hummed lightly, eventually turning the humming into lyrics as he sang softly. He liked the freedom of being able to do so. He kept it quiet, kept it calm enough that it would not disturb Ciri or be too loud to interrupt Geralt's thought patterns even though it had been a bit since their conversation. At least it felt as if it had been.

"Turn the clock backward

Memories of moments become

Hearts gently caressing

Natures softly tore apart

Simply complex lovers

Skies they are crying

Raindrops fair upon your skin

Pockets and Papers

Cigarettes and Lighters

Fast forwards to rewind"

It was a slow tune, melodic, and paced out. He didn't bother rushing it, just enjoyed the feeling of being able to sing openly. Honestly, it had been a while since he could sing properly. Back as Irys, he had to make sure he sang differently, deeper, more stoic but to be fair it did change his vocal range into a larger one and allowed his air control to become altered. Deeper singing voices required more ear and an open throat whereas higher singing required an open throat, thinking high and expanding the throat. It was a weird but very different feeling that was obviously different.

"Bodies pressed to linger

Nails against hair

Movements guiding passion

Slow and methodical

Rejection sweetly folds upon me

Foresee silver wings

Golden heavens adrift

Silver coating handsome yearns

Apprehended admirations cast

Worshipped through beryl gazes"

His tone was soft, gentle, and loving. It was more like a lullaby, hell he could even use it as such if Ciri ever wanted to be put back to sleep. He felt he could do that at least. And if not then he guessed he could manage to use it for Geralt as a lullaby to get him to sleep after a nightmare. He didn't know how often they occurred but he remembered Geralt saying Renfri was always there so he only hoped that talking about it properly might help dim the possibility of another nightmare to happen. He didn't quite know how to help with those parts but, the best he could do was try to coo him back to sleep. Last time he gave Geralt space because, well, he was a mess, as was Geralt.