|31|

PAIN

Christmas was around the corner, in fact it was only a week away. Two weeks had passed since the incident. Jessie wouldn't speak to her in class, at meals or even in the dorm rooms. Eva attended and set quidditch practice as normal.

Now though no one listened to her or paid anything she taught them any attention. Normally Eva would make them listen but it seemed she had lost her flare, her personality.

Her worst fear had come true, she was alone..

The Slytherins either deemed her as far too violent or absolutely barmy for her comments. Eva had lost the will to care and apparently lost the will to sleep or eat.

It didn't help that Gryffindor's seemed to be harrassing her everywhere she went around the castle. Fred longed to set the record straight with the girl but he could never find her anywhere.

Eva Smith was acting like a coward and she bloody well knew it, it was about time she acknowledged her issues and problems but for now she was sat on the train to Kings Cross station alone.

Oh Christmas would be fun she thought, seeing as her friends wouldn't speak to her Eva would have no choice but to stay at the orphanage this year, while the muggles bullied her and she'd celebrate her birthday by herself.

The compartment door began to open.

"Can I sit?" Harry Potter asked casually closing the door behind him.

"Sure I guess" she stated blandly. Harry had been given specific instructions from James to make sure she was doing alright because of course Remus had spilled all the gossip to him.

It was clear to Harry she was certainly not doing okay. Eva looked frail and gaunt like, no happiness evident on her face. It confused him, how was this the same girl who was hyper 24/7, was overly opiniated and seemed to have a lust for life.

Clearly Slytherin house took away your will to live, Harry briefly thought.

"Why are you here Harry?" She questioned weakly. He cringed, he really had to stop doing what his dad told him to do. He was running out of excuses to talk to the girl.

"You don't seem like yourself, I was worried!" Harry offered as an answer, placing himself beside the girl.

"Thanks for the concern Harry, i'm doing great" She shoved her hands into her pockets.

"Why lie, where does that get you?" Harry asked rudely.

"Nowhere clearly" she remarked.

"I know what happened and who gives a fuck what your house mates think, it was really brave what you said Eva"

"Ooo Harry Potter using big boy words" Eva hurted that much was true, her sarcasm acted as a way to retreat from the truth of the matter.

"You're acting like you don't care but I know you do, don't think i've forgotten what you told me that day in the bathroom. It's okay to be vulnerable".

In truth Eva was greatful for Harry, the fact he took time out of his day to check on her and apparently the thirteen year old thought he could give her a reality check.

"You expect me to believe Potter and Black taught you to be wise and shit" Eva smirked slightly but just enough to hint she would be alright eventually and that was enough for Harry.

"My mum's the sensible one, definitely not dad and Sirius they made me blow up the garden shed one time. Mum killed me" Harry shuddered, Eva couldn't help but laugh genuinly at the boy.

"Won't your friends miss you?" Eva enquired scooching up to make more room for Harry.

"They're fighting again, i'd rather not listen to it" Harry stated sarcastically.

"Fair enough" Eva said amused.

Harry had sat with Eva the whole way back to the station, not even because he had to but because he wanted to. Eva liked talking to the younger boy, he seemed so genuine to her and she admired that.

A pit began to form in her stomach when they reached the station, it meant the long walk back to the orphanage was close.

The pair picked up their luggage, Eva thought it best if she walked Harry to his parents. Rather though she could avoid the Slytherins. They walked silently off the train together, it didn't take long to locate Harry's family. The glasses being a dead giveaway.

When James spotted his two children together, his heart swelled, he almost felt like crying. He frantically began to wave clearly embarrassing Lily and Sirius.

"Mate stop we have a reputation to uphold" Sirius had stated.

Eva walked alongside Harry until they were face to face with the Potter and Sirius. Eva could hear the whispers, or maybe Adam and Jessie weren't whispering but trying to get under her skin.

"Pathetic" a voice called out but loud enough for Eva and the family to turn and face them.

Eva frowned and rolled her eyes. Why were they acting like this? Eva simply stuck her middle finger up at them and attempted to brush away the pain.

James was angry, no furious. He jerked forward about to shout at the two teenagers before Lily gently shook her head at her husband.

"Harry son great to see you again!" James changed the subject kissing his son's head while also receiving a hug from Lily and Sirius. Eva stood awkwardly not knowing if she should leave or not.

"Lovely to meet you once again, Eva" Lily spoke kindly.

"You too Mrs.Potter"

"Please call me Lily darling" Eva smiled at the ginger feeling a little more comfortable.

"Any plans for the holidays?" Lily asked without even thinking but when James squeezed her arm Lily knew she had messed up but luckily Eva didn't seem fazed.

"Not really, i'm meeting Narcissa Malfoy for tea in a few days that's it really" Eva replied confused. James gazed baffled, why would Eva be meeting Malfoy's wife.

"Eva isn't it your birthday though in a couple of days?" Harry brought up.

"Oh yes that, it's on Christmas eve" she added not bothered. Sirius frowned reminiscing on the pain he used to feel when his birthday was approaching knowing his family hated him.

"Eva how are you getting home?" James suddenly enquired worriedly.

"Walking"

"How long will that take?" Sirius eyebrows raised.

"An hour maybe but it's fine i'll be able to apparate in a few days"

"That's so dangerous!" Lily squeaked.

"We'll give you a lift" James offered.

"No really it's okay"

Harry looked unimpressed, he began to mouth 'say yes'.

"Oh all right that would be nice thanks"