Chapter 50: Crammers

~50~

"Shucks... I can't that day, Hiro. Magkikita kami ni Charlie 'non tapos alam ko may lakad din siya after then I also have an appointment sa school. Sa gabi naman," there was a pause na tila nag-iisip pa ito, "I have a dinner date with Mama. I can't reschedule this, kasi magtatampo yon. I've been really busy with school lately and she's been extra busy with work that we can't find time even just to have a meal together."

Bahagya siyang napailing sa munting pagkadismaya kahit hindi nakikita ng kapatid ang ekspresyon sa mukha. "It's alright, Siob. We can reschedule. It's not urgent."

"Thank you for understanding. I'll make time next time, okay?"

"Yeah, no worries. Don't worry about it." Sandaling naghintay si Hiro dahil matagal na namang natahimik ang nasa kabilang linya. "Siob, are you still there?"

Narinig niya ang pagtawa ng kapatid.

"I'm getting confused with my calendar, sorry. I realized that mom and I will have that dinner date on the day before. Basically, I can make it sometime around late afternoon that day if you're still down."

Lumiwanag ang mukha niya sa narinig. "Of course. Do you want me to pick you up?"

"Just text me the address, I'll meet you there," sagot ni Louie.

"Alright."

He wants to subtly ask his sister what she thinks about his shop. Louie will probably have a lot of inputs as well considering how she loves drinking milktea.

"One more thing Hiro before we end this call. I just want to remind you that moving forward, whenever you're going to visit your adopted family, make sure to be nice to Charlie. If you find it in your heart that you can't, just keep in mind that if you have nothing nice to say to her, just don't say anything at all. And I hope you did apologize." Mahabang litanya ni Louie sa binata.

"Tss. Minsan hindi ko na alam kung ako ba ang kapatid mo o ang babaeng 'yon. And yes, I did. But she ignored it." Hindi niya maiwasang hindi mainis nang maalala.

Narinig niya ang mahinang tawa ni Louie. "Baka kasi halatang labas sa ilong. But serves you right."

Hindi na siya sumagot sa kapatid para hindi na humaba ang usapan. Mas lalo lang siyang naiinis sa hindi niya maipalawanag na dahilan:

Dahil ba sa inaasar siya ng kapatid o dahil hindi na siya pinapansin ni Charlotte? When he exerted the effort to apologize to her.

He chose to ignore the thoughts.

***

Crammers

December 23

It was a pleasant day to have the ribbon cutting for Crammers. It's the name of Hiro's milktea shop. The store will open as early as nine in the morning and closes at twelve midnight. Crammers will eventually be open 24 hours but since they're just starting, he was advised to set it until midnight for now. The place is especially made for students finding solitude when they're cramming for their school deadlines and preparing for their exams.

The shop's motiff is pastel green and blue starting from the curtains, balloons, ornaments, light fixtures, cups even the give-aways are especially made in green and blue pastels. Since RSVPs for guests were sent out, the place couldn't accommodate everyone who wanted to come in out of curiosity. So a free-taste booth was set-up. Subalit iyon ang dahilan upang mas dumami pa ang gustong makapasok.

Hiro hired a host for the program that day. May mga palaro at papremyo para sa mga guests. At sa gabi naman ay ang mga kabanda ng binata ang unang tutugtog sa mini stage.