Hermione X Reader.

I had only tuned in to the last part of the sentence "It's barbaric!" Hermione declares, her frizzy curls bouncing as she shakes her head at the two boys opposite her before opening the book in her lap and flicking through the pages. I watched carefully as she skimmed the words, obviously searching for something in particular. I loved the way that she seemed at peace as she read, reality falling away from around her. Curiosity bubbled within me. What was barbaric? 

Too lost in my thoughts, I hadn't realised that Dean was calling out to me "(Y/n)...(Y/n)!" he shook my arm and my gaze snapped over to him, a warm flush spreading up my cheeks when both him and Seamus offer me a sly grin "You're staring.... again!" Dean commented, nudging me once more before pointing at the chess board in front of me, the pieces idly twitching, obviously bored and awaiting orders. 

"Oh... right... rook to D5" The piece slid forward, taking the pawn with a violent clash and Dean let's out a huff of annoyance, moving his queen out of the way, and I take his knight with a victorious grin. 

"There! Move there!" Seamus buts in, pointing to my own knight, though Dean shakes his head when he realises where my queen is, his eyes narrowed in concentration as he bats Seamus' hand out of the way. He makes his move, unknowingly leaving a gap open for me to check mate, though I loved making him squirm, and so I move my hand towards my queen to take his rook when a voice over my shoulder stops me. 

"You know, you could checkmate him now you know" Ron comments, a face full of food as he stands over my shoulder, and I open my mouth to make a probably rude comment about his manners but someone beats me to it. 

"Ron, will you stop chewing like an animal, it's distracting for (Y/n)" Hermione comments, placing a hand on my shoulder and whispering in my ear which piece I could take for checkmate. Her breath fanned my cheek, I couldn't help but notice that she smelt rather strongly of chocolate, and I had no doubt that she'd been eating some along with her other two best friends. 

I wonder if she tasted like chocolate if I were to kiss her. 

"(Y/n)?" Dean pressed, a knowing look on his face. I was just a bit frazzled, my mind completely blank because Hermione Granger was right next to me, her frizzy hair brushing my cheek. Her scent was invading my senses, like old parchments and honey, though there was something floral about it "(Y/n)! Come on, make your move!" Seamus huffed out, narrowing his eyes on me though he couldn't help from smirking at me. 

"(Y/n)?" Hermione spoke up, nudging me slightly "You're not going to let them win are you?" She grinned at me, though both Dean and Seamus let out long whines of disapproval about how she should be helping them because obviously I could handle myself. Though everyone knew that if Ron and Hermione were to play, he'd beat her in seconds. She may be the brightest witch of her age, but chess didn't really fall under that category, and so that was why Seamus was trying to convince Ron to help them. 

"Oh right, of course. Sorry boys" I move my piece, and I watch as the two of them let out huffs of frustration, muttering things about how unfair it was that I won because I was so easily distracted. I, however, ignore them and instead turn to Hermione with a bright grin. 

"So, care for a match?" She tilts her head to the side and looks at me with those big brown eyes before nodding her head "Of course" She waves Dean out of the seat opposite me before taking it and resetting the board, her lips tilted up as she watches me from over the pieces. 

"Ooooo!" Seamus puts a his hands on my shoulders from behind me and shakes me slightly, and I have no doubt the boy is grinning from behind me "Sorry Hermione, but there's no way you're going to beat her" Seamus pats my shoulders a couple of times before letting go and dragging a chair next to the game so he can watch. Ron, Harry and Dean all do the same.