Chapter Nine

LOGAN POV

I was getting tired of organizing and reorganizing. I actually loved working at the cafe but these books were gonna send me crazy. I held the copy of Pride and Prejudice in my hands, and in a split second I decided to take it with me. I'd read it before, but had a sudden urge to do so again. Just last night, I finished To Kill a Mockingbird again. Reading was a passion of mine, an escape from the real world.

I never went to college, I wanted to but mom got sick. John, who we knew since moving here, offered me a job and I took it without a second thought. I never regretted my decision, I owed that woman everything. Mom had me when she was only a teenager, her own parents abandoned her after finding out. She became everything to me and for me.

The pay at the cafe wasn't exactly enough for her treatment, so I had to get a little side job. No one but Luke knew about it. It's what really pays for her treatment. The cafe pay goes into a savings account for when she gets better. My apartment only has one bedroom so I'd have to get a bigger place for us. She deserves a house but until I can give her that, it'll have to do. My phone going off brought me out of my thoughts. Placing the books in my hand down, I pulled out my phone.

Char: are you coming over tonight?

I thought for a moment, knowing Luke and I had to be at the track tonight. Char was sensitive, I'd learned that recently. I didn't want her to think I was blowing her off, but I couldn't tell her the truth either.

Luke wants to hang out tonight. Tomorrow?

Char: Okay.

I tried to figure out if she was mad or not. Nah. It's not like we're together, although we decided to see where it goes. I was a coward when it came to actually asking her to be mine. But sometimes, it felt like she was. We cuddled a lot, watched movies and spent everyday since together. Surely that meant something good.

***

I sat on my bike, suit and helmet on. Only a few more minutes until the race began. We were in a racing track with at least fifteen other racers. It was an old and unused track that had been here for years. I was the only unknown racer here since I always kept my helmet on. Plus, what we were doing was illegal. It took Luke a lot of convincing to get me to be a part of this.

The ones in charge weren't exactly ecstatic about an unknown racer being here at first. But then they saw me race once and changed their minds. The money made it worth it for me. Each driver paid an entry fee and winner takes all. The people who controlled everything, made their money by betting. Apparently, it's no kids game and I've heard rumors about one or two losing their lives when they refused to pay up.

"Okay, dude. Play safe. I don't need mama bear coming for me if anything happens to you." Luke was always nervous each time I did this.

"Relax, man." I wasn't worried. Not to brag but I was a force to be reckoned with on the track. I had never lost a race, but there was one particular racer that loved playing dirty. "Hawk, isn't here tonight."

The girl in front blew the horn and the racers were off. Three times around the track and we were done. I managed to keep ahead the entire time. It felt as if the other racers weren't even trying, but I knew better. Tonight was a particularly easy one. Too easy but I didn't care. Unsurprisingly to everyone, I won.

More added to mom's treatment and enough to see us through.

I slowly rode over to where Luke was talking to the man in charge. I always stayed quiet while my friend did the talking. As far as they knew, he didn't know me either and only found me through a higher source. The lies people believe. While they talked, my eyes wandered around the track. I knew most of these men and women here from around town. Man, if they knew they just got schooled by the girl who serves them coffee.

"Nice doing business as usual Shadow." Brian, the man in charge said to me.

The name was Luke's idea and it stuck pretty quickly. I gave him a firm nod and he was off. Luke and I met up at the cafe afterwards and by then, I was already out of my suit.

"There's another one next week. Hawk will be there for sure this time." Luke informed me.

"I'll be ready." I muttered gazing up at the sky. Barely any stars tonight.

Luke held his fist for me. "I'm going to Jazz and Charlotte's. You sure you don't want to come?"

I gave him a bump as I shook my head. "I'm beat."

Luke shrugged and got into his car.

I parked my bike in the small garage and was about to make my way inside. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I felt eyes on me. Swiftly turning around, I scanned the deserted place but that feeling still stayed. I shook it off and went inside, showering and laying in bed with my arms behind my head. A message came through on my phone and I reached for it.

Char: why aren't you here?

Of course, Luke had to go there and get me in trouble.

I'm tired babe. I'll be there tomorrow.

Char: if you're not here in ten minutes.....you can use your hands for the next two weeks.

Psh. She wouldn't.

Char: test me☺

I quickly sat up at that. Yeah, I don't want to find out if she would or not. I got my ass up and rushed to her and Jazz's place. I was there in five minutes, making my way up to their apartment and knocked. The short brunette opened it with a smirk on her pink lips.

"That was fast." She tilted her head.

"Shut up." I went inside, ignoring the two on the couch and Luke's quiet 'whipped.' I beelined to her room, flopping down on her bed face first. I heard as she walked in while giggling. "You're mean." I whined.

"Oh, shut it." She laid next to me. I turned my head to face her as she lay on her side. Her hand came up and cupped my face. "You do look tired." She said softly and I nodded in agreement. "I'm sorry." I gently kissed her palm while I kept eye contact. She smiled with that adorable blush on.

"It's okay." I closed my eyes as she continued to caress my face.

"What did you and Luke do tonight?"

My eyes remained closed,trying to think of something that wasn't a lie. "Just hang out." Lame.

"Had fun?" Char asked then, making me peek an eye open.

"It was worthwhile." I responded as I thought about paying for Mom's treatment.

-E